Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: iPhone 12 mockups look cool, line enters production soon
This week in Apple news we saw some physical mock-ups of what the iPhone 12 series could look like. At first glance, though, these appear to be based on older renders so take what they show with a grain of salt. However, they are still interesting and can tell us quite a bit about the devices.
In other Apple news, we found out when at least one device in the iPhone 12 series will supposedly enter production. We also heard some news about iOS 14, Apple’s response to last week’s news about the ability to jailbreak any iPhone using unc0ver, and more!
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- iPhone 12 mockups give us an idea of what to expect: Japanese site Mac Otakara posted some physical mockups of the iPhone 12 series. They are based on leaked info we’ve seen so far. However, the mock-ups appear to be based on older leaks — for example, we are nearly certain the notch on the iPhone 12 series will be smaller, but these mock-ups show it at the normal size. As such, don’t take these as gospel, but they are still an interesting look at what could be on the way.
- 6.1-inch iPhone 12 production starting soon: According to DigiTimes, at least one of the devices in the iPhone 12 series could enter the production phase as soon as July. The 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Max (the bigger version of the non-Pro models) allegedly needs more outsourced parts than other models, so it needs more production time. The other iPhones will enter volume production at a later date.
- However, there could still be delays: According to Bloomberg, the next line of iPhones could still be delayed. While discussing revenue estimates, Broadcom CEO Hock Tan strongly hinted that iPhone delays are likely. Since Broadcom makes iPhone components, he would know.
- iOS 14 could land on every iPhone and iPod made since 2015: Once again putting Android to shame, Apple could deliver iOS 14 to every iPhone and iPod since the launch of the iPhone 6S line (via MacRumors). In comparison, that would be like the Samsung Galaxy S6 getting Android 11. Ha! Imagine that.
- Apple releases iOS update to patch unc0ver: The iPhone jailbreaking tool we talked about last week now has a fix that will prevent it from working. If you have any desire to jailbreak your iPhone, don’t update to iOS 13.5.1 or the unc0ver tool will fail, at least for now.
- iOS code suggests bundles on the way: We’ve heard rumors for months that Apple has plans to bundle its services together into a pseudo-“Apple Prime” package. Now, code in iOS 13.5.5 gives even more credence to this rumor. Theoretically, the bundle would include all (or most) of Apple’s services, including Apple Music, Apple TV Plus, and Apple News Plus.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple news article on an iOS device and thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.