Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Apple: iPhone loyalty hits all-time low, 2020 iPhone details leak
The big Apple news this week was pretty much every Apple news site and YouTube review channel getting their hands on physical mockups of the supposed iPhone 11 (or iPhone XI). We also heard some bad Apple news when it comes to iPhone loyalty and learned a lot of new details about the upcoming 2020 iPhones, including the advanced processor supposedly on the way.
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest!
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- 2019 iPhone mockups make the rounds on YouTube: Several Apple news sites now have physical mockups of what the 2019 iPhones will look like. You can see examples at the top of this page. From left to right, you have what appears to be the iPhone 11, iPhone 11R, and iPhone 11 Max.
- 2020 iPhones could feature rear ToF sensor: Reportedly, Apple asked one of its manufacturing partners about readying components needed to add a time-of-flight (ToF) sensor onto the rear of the iPhones planned to launch in 2020. This would not only improve photo and video quality, but it would also make for better AR and VR experiences.
- 2020 iPhones could also feature 5nm chips: We expect the 2019 iPhones to debut the new A13 chipset, which will be based on 7nm construction just like last year’s A12. However, there is considerable evidence to suggest the 2020 iPhones will have 5nm chips.
- iPhone loyalty falls to an all-time low, according to study: There are allegedly fewer people out there who love their iPhone, according to a new report. The report suggests iPhone loyalty is at 73 percent, a 15 percent drop from last year. Android loyalty is at 92 percent, according to the same source.
- Apple less concerned with parts leaking, more concerned with CAD files: The CAD files that leak from Apple and give us lifelike renders (such as the physical models in the photo at the top of this article) are a big problem, Apple thinks. As such, it is cutting down on concerns over individual parts leaking from factories and instead putting more effort into stopping CAD file leaks.
- An 11-year-old girl’s iPhone allegedly exploded: A California girl claims her iPhone 6 spontaneously exploded. The device started to spark while in her hands which caused her to throw the phone across the room, where it eventually went up in flames. Apple says it is investigating.
- Apple betting big on both original TV shows and podcasts: According to multiple reports, Apple is spending as much as $15 million on each episode of an exclusive TV show as well as investing heavily in the development of podcasts which would be exclusive to Apple Music.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are currently an Apple user thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.