This week in Apple news we heard more info on what to expect from the new variant of AirPods we think is on the way. However, we also have some evidence to suggest that the new true wireless earbuds could be delayed due to COVID-19.
In other Apple news, we heard about Apple’s self-made computer processors, a security vulnerability that could have left iPhones and iPad in danger, a weird text string hack that freezes iPhones, and a new TV show starring some A-List celebrities.
See the Apple news roundup below for all the latest.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- A bit more about the (possibly delayed) AirPods: According to DigiTimes, Apple has a new set of AirPods on the way that will look like AirPods Pro but not feature noise-cancellation, thus making them a more middle-of-the-road product, with the original AirPods on the lower end and then AirPods Pro at the top. However, the same publication (via MacRumors) posits that the launch of these new AirPods has been delayed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Apple could be stockpiling 5G iPhones: According to Nikkei Asian Review, Apple is doing its damndest to launch the expected 5G iPhones this year. Allegedly, the company is stockpiling 5G iPhones and their related components right now, even though we are still a long way gone from September.
- iPhones are likely still getting delayed, though: Despite the alleged news that Apple could be stockpiling iPhones in response to COVID-19, that doesn’t mean there might not be delays on iPhone launches. For example, there supposedly is an iPhone SE Plus, but it was allegedly delayed. Additionally, the 6.7-inch iPhone that will likely land this Fall also could be facing delays.
- Apple laptops with ARM-based processors landing as early as 2021: It’s not really a secret that Apple has been working on developing its own processors for computers. It looks like the first batch of these could land as early as 2021. This is a big deal because it will be a giant threat to Intel, which currently dominates the PC chipset market.
- iPads and iPhones could have been susceptible to attack for years: A San Francisco-based mobile security forensics company found a security flaw in iPhones and iPad that may have left the devices vulnerable to attacks for years. Apple has said it will issue a patch to fix the problem but downplayed the severity of the issue.
- Weird text string bug crashes iOS devices: Some folks have figured out that sending a specific string of characters in a text message to iOS devices causes the system to crash. Luckily, Apple has already fixed the problem in a beta of iOS, which means it should be out for everyone soon.
- New Apple TV Plus show gets A-List stars: A new show on Apple TV Plus called The Shrink Next Door just got the green light. The comedy series will star A-List actors Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd.
Thinking about making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple news article on an iOS device and thinking about making the switch to Android, we have multiple articles and guides that can help you with that process. Despite how it might seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our guide on how to switch from iPhone to Android, which goes over all the basics. We also have more specific guides, such as how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples, such as our list of best alternatives to FaceTime on Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, consult our list of the best Android smartphones available now.