Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - August 9, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us more reports about the upcoming Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, rumors about the next Nexus phones surfaced, Sony launched the new Xperia C5 and Xperia M5, OnePlus was in the news thanks to its notorious invite system, Xiaomi teased the release of a new version of MIUI, ASUS introduced the 5,000 mAh Zenfone Max, and we all discussed the latest – and biggest – Android security scare yet.
Inside AA HQ
Android Authority this week is where you can get all your essential Android news and keep up with your favorite (we hope) Android bloggers, but if you’re more of a video guy or gal, we now have a weekly post where we highlight the best videos from the AA YouTube channel and more. Check out this week’s installment here.
There’s been a lot of talk this week about how secure (or how insecure, depending on whom you ask) Android really is. You can learn about Stagefright and what you can do to protect yourself as much as you can, but it’s important not to fall prey to doomsayer tendencies. Is the problem serious? Yes, by all means. Is it an impeding catastrophe? Probably not – there’s usually a big gap between the theoretical reach of a vulnerability and its practical impact. In other words, do follow basic precautions. Do not freak out (just yet.)
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- How to: Time to dump that iPhone. Here’s how you can switch to Android with minimal hassle
- First impressions: Matt looks at the Galaxy A8 and brings you his first impressions
- Review: How does the Galaxy S6 Edge hold up in time? Nirave answers
- Opinion: Is Google Plus dying? Probably not, but it’s definitely changing
- Review: Bailey reviews the popular Lenovo K3 Note
- Opinion: How Motorola transcends Android without actually changing it
- Review: The long anticipated new Moto G is here, and this is our review
- First impressions: Josh unboxes the OnePlus 2 – does it hold up to they hype?
Top news of the week
Galaxy Note 5 & Edge Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 leaks yet again, showing off new Air Command menu
- Samsung begins teasing its upcoming Galaxy Note 5
- Samsung teases Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, and what could be a new tablet
- Exposed: the Galaxy Note 5 is leaked in-full, packaging and all
New Xperia phones
- Xperia C5 Ultra offers two 13MP cameras and a “near borderless” 6-inch display
- ‘Super Mid-Range’ Sony Xperia M5 announced
- OnePlus Carl Pei: another phone by Christmas & NFC is overblown
- 30,000 OnePlus 2 handsets sold in 64 seconds in China
- (Update 2: Hacked yet again) How one user ‘hacked’ the OnePlus 2 invite system
- OnePlus is auctioning OnePlus 2 invites for charity
- OnePlus 2 on sale through OPPOMart for $459, no invite required
- Xiaomi to launch MIUI 7 alongside a new product on August 13th
- Xiaomi may unveil Redmi Note 2 alongside MIUI 7 next week
Stagefright, oh my
- How is Google fixing the Stagefright vulnerability that affects 95% of all Android phones?
- (Update: multiple Samsung devices, too!) Stagefright patch now rolling out to the Nexus 6 and Nexus 5 as build LMY48I
- Samsung to release monthly security updates to its Android devices in wake of Stagefright exploit
- Google to roll out security-focused updates to Nexus devices on a monthly basis
- Worried about Stagefright? Here’s what you can do for now
New ASUS Zenfones
- ASUS announces the Zenfone Max with 5000 mAh battery
- ASUS launches the ZenFone 2 Laser, ZenFone 2 Deluxe and ZenFone Selfie in India
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: