Welcome to the 227th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines for this week:
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery got more hype this week. A new trailer launched this week along with more details about the game. Players create their own character. That character exists in the Harry Potter universe. Additionally, the game launches here in a few months. The trailer doesn’t reveal much. However, it does show some in-game graphics along with some explanation of the game play.
- Google Arts and Culture is doing a fun thing this week. People can submit selfies to the app. The app tells them what old paintings they kind of look like. It gives you several options with percentages. Google uses machine learning to make similarities. This is such a Google thing to do and it’s currently all over social media. The app is free if you want to try it yourself.
- Square Enix is about to launch a new game. Final Fantasy Opera Omnia arrived on Google Play today for pre-registration. Registering early gets you free in-game content when it launches. The game features JRPG mechanics along with freemium mechanics. It pairs with the new Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. The launch should be sometime this winter.
- Twitch launched a rather large update this week. Included is new video creator tools. It lets creators air pre-made videos, re-runs of older content, and more. That gives creators more power over their videos. More importantly, it gives creators a reason to leave videos on Twitch. We don’t think it’ll usurp YouTube. However, it may help keep some viewers on the service. These tools are rolling out over the next little while.
- YouTube is raising the bar for monetization. This week they announced new policies for content with ads. YouTubers now must have 1,000 subscribers and 400,000 hours of watched content every year. That’s quite a bit more than the previous requirements. It definitely makes it harder for new YouTubers to monetize. That has angered some people. However, it carries the benefit of making it harder for trashy, recycled content to monetize as well. In either case, the changes take effect at the end of February.
For even more Android apps and games news, updates, and releases, check out this week’s newsletter by clicking here! You can sign up with the form below to get the newsletter every week!
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, updates, releases, or anything else, tell us about them in the comments below! Check back next week for more!