Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android 8.1 Developer Preview 2 is available now for Pixel, Nexus devices [Updated]
Google has just released Android 8.1 Developer Preview 2 factory images for compatible Pixel and Nexus devices.
These new images come in at build number OPP6.171019.012 and are compatible with the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X.
- Google Pixel 2 – factory image
- Google Pixel 2 XL – factory image
- Google Pixel – factory image
- Google Pixel XL – factory image
- Google Pixel C – factory image
- Nexus 6P – factory image
- Nexus 5X – factory image
If you aren’t a fan of sideloading updates, the easiest way to get the latest 8.1 preview is by signing up for the Android Beta Program. You might have to wait a day or two to receive the update this way, but it’s much easier (and safer) than sideloading. If you’d rather sideload the update but need a refresher, feel free to check out our guide here.
While this is still beta software, it should be much more stable than the first 8.1 preview. Google says these are “near-final system images for final testing”, so you should have a much more stable experience than before. Keep in mind that the official rollout of Android 8.1 is slated for December, so you don’t have much longer to wait until Google releases a consumer-ready version of 8.1.
What’s new in Android 8.1 Developer Preview 2?
- Pixel Visual Core: Developers can now test their apps with Google’s first custom-designed co-processor for image processing and machine learning. Remember, Pixel Visual Core support was postponed until the second developer preview, so you’ll need to update your devices if you want to test it out.
- Neural Network API fixes: The only other fix Google called out in its release notes pertains to new neural network APIs.
- This release also includes “the latest optimizations and bug fixes”, as well as the November 2017 Android security patch.
We’ll be sure to update you as we learn more about this new developer preview.