Toting around an Atrix is like having a computer in your pocket (it can even power a laptop), but to really take unlock the potential of this device, you need to root it. Here’s how to do just that. By the way, this method also works on Motorola phones running Android OS 2.3.4 or earlier
Here’s how to root your Motorola Atrix:
- Make sure your phone is in USB Debugging. Tap on Menu> Settings> Application> Development, then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB data cable
- If your phone is connected into your computer but isn’t getting recognized, you might need to install these files. Pick the one that works with your computer (either 32-bit or 64-bit).
Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
- Next download this file: PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip.
- Extract PetesMotorolaRootTools v1.07.zip using Winrar/Winzip to a new folder.
- From the new folder, double-click on Pete’s Motorola Root Tools to open the program.
- Lastly follow the steps shown in there to finish rooting your phone. Don’t worry, it will tell you everything you need to do.
- If you want to root using other OSes, like Windows XP or Mac, click on the link below to learn more.