How to Use an Android Phone/Tablet to Control Another Android via Bluetooth
We have already seen many useful apps in the Android Market, apps that we probably have been using even now. Be they for productivity, entertainment, or whatnot, these apps are an important part of our Android gadgets.
We recently ran into the Tablet Remote app, an Android app whose function confused us at first. After installing the app, though, we discovered that it’s actually a useful one. The app uses Bluetooth to communicate with fellow Android devices. It seems to be an interesting and unique function. If you’re intrigued about what this app can do, read on to find out more.
When we first saw the name of the app, we were quite intrigued. Why should you need a remote control for your tablet? That sounds odd, right? After we toyed around with the app and what it can do, we found out that it is not as odd as we first thought. In a nutshell, Tablet Remote uses Bluetooth to enable two Android devices to be controlled remotely.
Bluetooth is a technology designed for short range communication, so this app can only be used when devices are within the Bluetooth signal radius. Tablet Remote is best used in a home entertainment setup, which might make you wonder where the app would fit in a home entertainment setup.
Imagine a setup where you have an Android tablet connected to your HDTV via HDMI. In this setup, the tablet would serve as your media player. Cool setup, right? But, wouldn’t it be more cool if you had a remote control to use for your media player (i.e., your tablet)? That’s where Tablet Remote comes into play. If you have a second Android device, you can use it as a remote control for managing your other device.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the Tablet Remote app from the Android Market.
- Install the app on your two Android devices.
- The tablet connected to your HDTV will serve as the receiver, while your other device will serve as the controller.
- Configure the receiver device by opening Setup in the Tablet Remote app. Then, enable the two options: “Enable tablet remote in the settings” and “Change the input method for tablet remote”.
- Pair the two devices via Bluetooth. To do that, open the Connection screen in Tablet Remote. Tap on “Make device discoverable” and then tap on “Scan devices”. Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on both devices, otherwise you will not be able to pair them.
- You will see a list of detected Bluetooth devices. Select the other device from the list. Confirmation messages will appear on the other device. Follow the onscreen instructions to successfully pair the two devices.
- Once the two devices are paired, you can now start controlling the receiver device. To do that, tap the Remote button on the controller device. You will be taken to a screen with playback control buttons that you can use for remotely controlling the receiver device.
The Tablet Remote app gives you a new and convenient way of using the built-in Bluetooth feature of your Android gadgets. The Tablet Remote doesn’t just offer a useful Bluetooth utility but also paves the way to have a new home entertainment setup like the one described above.
Have you tried using Tablet Remote in a similar setup? What do you think of its features?