How to enable voice calls on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500
The 3G variant of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 can now be hacked to enable voice calls. Having a tablet that can also make calls is a great way of optimizing usage so that you don’t have to switch devices to keep in touch with the people important to you. Since the Galaxy Tab 10.1 came with a 3G variant, it has always been theoretically possible to enable phone call functionality. Luckily, XDA Developers member almaqdad figured out how to make this a reality, so you can now try it for yourself.
This hack can only be applied to certain ROMs, though. Specifically, the stock Samsung ROM for Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean-based CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM, the ICS-based CyanogenMod 9 ROM, and the AOKP ROM.
This guide shows you how to enable voice calls on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model number GT-P7500. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running one of the following:
- stock Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM,
- CyanogenMod 10,
- CyanogenMod 9, or
- AOKP Milestone 6.
- For help with custom recovery, you can check our guide entitled “Root and ClockworkMod Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G/4G GT-P7500.”
- Download the following files to your computer:
- XXLQ3 modem file for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (CWM_I9103XXLQ3_Modem.zip, 4.68 MB)
- Download one of the following depending on which ROM is running on your tablet:
- Voice Call Enable hack for stock Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM (Voice_Call_Enable__Stock__ICS_4.0.4_ROM_Build_1.zip, 9.94 MB)
- Voice Call Enable hack for CyanogenMod 9 ROM (Voice_Call_Enable__CM9__ICS_4.0.4_ROM_Build_1.zip, 4.04 MB)
- Voice Call Enable hack for CyanogenMod 10 ROM (Voice_Call_Enable__CM10__JB_4.1.1_ROM_Build_1.zip, 4.72 MB)
- Voice Call Enable hack for ICS-based AOKP Milestone 6 (Voice_Call_Enable__AOKP__ICS_4.0.4_ROM_Build_1.zip, 4.49 MB)
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the XXLQ3 modem file and the Voice Call Enable Hack ZIP file to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn off the tablet.
- Boot the tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do so, hold down the Power and Volume Up buttons until the screen turns on, then let go of the Power button but keep holding the Volume Up button. Once a menu shows up, press Volume Down to highlight the Recovery Mode icon. Press Volume Up to enter recovery.
- Create a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Scroll to the CWM_I9103XXLQ3_Modem.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card again, then select the Voice Call Enable Hack package file that you downloaded for the ROM currently running on your tablet.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe cache partition and confirm the partition wipe.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Reboot system now to restart your tablet.
Awesome! You’ve now enabled voice calls on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500.