Android Authority this week – January 17, 2016
Hello Android fans! This week brought us hot rumors on the LG G5, the release of Xiaomi’s latest affordable powerhouse, more details about the Oppo F1, news about this year’s Google I/O edition, more rumors about the fate of Motorola, a bunch of Google updates, and the release of the Xperiaz Z5 line in the US.
Inside AA HQ
It’s back to business as usual at Android Authority HQ, as the team returned from Las Vegas. After a frantic week covering a dizzying array of products, we were all happy to take a breather and return to our daily routines. There’s a lot of exciting stuff coming down the pike, but truth be told, we’re already preparing for the next big event of the first part of the year, MWC Barcelona. This year, Samsung and LG promise to make it a particularly interesting show, as the G5 and Galaxy S7 will duel for our attention.
- LG G5 rumor roundup: release date, specs, and features
- Samsung Galaxy S7 rumor roundup: release date, price, specs, features
You might have noticed a new byline in our daily posts flow. Kris Carlon is bringing his intense Android knowledge and a touch of Australian charm to the eclectic AA mix. Kris is based in Berlin and enjoys nothing more than to travel and to discuss the fine points of the Android ecosystem. Keep an eye out for his posts and please make him at home in the Android Authority community!
As always, keep an eye out for our beloved Sunday Giveaway, coming soon!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Explainer: Wireless charging: what you need to know to understand all the different standards
- Comparison: Note 5 vs LG V10: flagship showdown
- Best apps: These are the best 10 personal assistant apps for Android
- Opinion: Andrew upgraded from a Nexus to a Nexus 6P, and these are his impressions
- Best wallpapers: Looking for a sweet wallpaper for your phone? Look no more
- For designers: 10 examples of brilliant Material Design implementations
News of the week
Xiaomi Redmi 3
- Xiaomi Redmi 3 announced with full metal chassis and 4,100 mAh battery for $105
- Xiaomi announces Snapdragon 650 powered Redmi Note 3 variant
- (Update: 70M phones sold) Xiaomi misses expectations, makes investors wonder and worry
LG G5 rumors
- (Update: G5 confirmed) LG sends out invites to MWC 2016 event, most likely LG G5 launch
- LG G5 said to feature first of its kind modular design (Updated with more details)
- ZTE talks past, present and future at CES 2016
- GranitePhone interview details the only way to make Android more secure
- Power unleashed: Energous founder talks about true wireless charging at CES 2016
- Photography focused OPPO F1 goes up for pre-order
- Oppo F1: lord of the selfie, now available for pre-order
Google I/O 2016: it’s a date!
Google app updates
- Google App version 5.8 beta brings back auto-rotate home screen option, icon normalization
- New Google Maps update adds Driving Mode: like Google Now for your car
- Google Cardboard getting spatial audio
- Google+ app update fixes most of the recent overhaul’s issues
- Google Play introduces promo codes for apps, games and in-app purchases
- Google Drive update simplifies organization
- Motorola clarifies the future of the Moto G
- Motorola’s 2016 line-up: Fingerprint sensors for all, phones 5 inches + (Update: Motorola clarifies)
- Motorola monitor: what’s going on behind the scenes?
Xperia Z5 in the US
- Sony Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact are officially coming to the U.S.
- No fingerprint sensor for the US Xperia Z5 or Z5 Compact
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.