Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: New phones in 2020, and the death of Chrome Apps
This week we updated our list of new phones we’re watching for in 2020, highlights include the Samsung Galaxy S20 series, the Google Pixel 4a, the OnePlus 8 line, and more. Some of these phones are expected iterative updates from popular phone brands, but there might be a surprise or two in there, check it out.
While OLED displays continue to grow in popularity, developers continue to embrace the battery saving features by using a full black background in their apps. Gradually rolling out now is an update to WhatsApp that enables dark mode.
Chrome Apps have an expiration date, and so does the entire Chrome Web Store. Google has outlined their plans to entirely disable and turn off the Chrome Web Store and all the apps within. You’ve got some time to enjoy your apps, but the beginning of the end is sooner than you might think.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Motorola Razr can be ordered from Verizon soon – Starting January 26th, you can get your very own flippy phone.
- Chromebooks are given a life sentence – In a case of software deciding the fate of hardware, your new Chromebook has an expiration date.
- WhatsApp going dark – The app is rolling out an update with a dark mode, what did you think we meant?
- What’s coming at MWC 2020? – New phones, 5G tech, Bluetooth and more, but mostly new phones.
- Google is experimenting with us again – new Digital Wellbeing apps make you aware of your screen-on time, and take your phone away from you.
- Do you auto-update your apps? – We explore some reasons you might turn off auto updates in the Google Play Store.
- What new phones are coming this year? – Our list of expectations for new Android phones in 202o is here.
- 2020 might be a rough year for Huawei – A promise of stricter regulations may lead to more bans for Huwei.
- Say goodbye to Chrome Apps – Google has issued dates for the EoL of the Chrome Web Store.
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – Yoga, Tetris, gestures, and boxing robots are on deck this week.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast we express joy that the Motorola Razr folding phone can be ordered very soon, express dismay over 8-year life of Chromebooks, ponder MWC, and more!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Google Pixel 4?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.