Sony’s no stranger to offering flagship smartphones at high prices, but the Sony Xperia Pro perhaps takes the cake. Coming in at $2,500, the phone is among the priciest we’ve seen from a major company in a while. It’s more expensive than most current foldables, pushing it into a territory that few standard format phones dare to tread.
But does Sony have a case asking users for this much cash, or is the device an immediate pass even for its specialized target market? To answer this question, we turned to you. Here’s what Android Authority readers had to say.
Do you think the Sony Xperia Pro is worth $2,500?
Sony Xperia Pro poll results
When it comes to one-sided polls, this could be a textbook example. Of the 5,100 votes cast by readers, 88% of respondents believe that the Sony Xperia Pro is not worth its $2,500 price tag.
We can understand why users would feel this way. As a smartphone, the Xperia Pro doesn’t offer users much in terms of value. It employs last year’s Snapdragon 865 chipset, there’s no new camera hardware or a larger battery, either. While we do get a generous RAM and storage bump over the Xperia 1 II, it costs more than double that particular device.
Read more: The best camera phones you can get right now
Despite the overwhelmingly negative slant presented by the tally, 12% of respondents believe that the phone is worth its salt. In real figures, that represents a little over 600 users.
Where these voters may have a point is the Xperia Pro’s unique features. For starters, an HDMI input means the Xperia Pro is the smartphone companion Sony Alpha mirrorless users have dreamed of. This feature finally gives the 6.5-inch 4K display meaning as a detailed monitor. It could be an incredible tool in the pocket of the right professional.
It’s clear that Sony is willing to push the boundaries of smartphone use cases particularly for professional videographers — a small underserved niche — but does this mean the phone’s worth it? According to readers, not even slightly.
Here’s what you had to say
- Dogeanimupower: It’s not a mainstream phone.
- Farhan Ahmad Tajuddin: For mainstream consumers like myself, I’ll just keep using my Xperia 5 ii. But for a professional-grade video producer or creator, the inclusion of HDMI INPUT port and multiple shortcut button is seriously hard to ignore.
- Guy_Jorgen_Gold: Sony needs a mega hit to get back on track, and this is not even close.
- Henry Park: I mean if Red Hydrogen One surely Sony can right?
- Lamar Taylor: $2,500 for a Sony smartphone? I actually thought that was a mistake or a joke. Last year’s Snapdragon chip and no wireless charging do make this expensive phone a joke. Sony struggles to sell Android phones and this phone won’t help those low sales numbers at all.
That’s it for this Sony Xperia Pro poll. Thanks to those who voted and commented. If you have any additional thoughts on the phone itself or the results of the poll, be sure to drop them down below.