Search results for

All search results
Best daily deals

Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.

We asked, you told us: The majority of people don't use haptics. Who knew?

Over 32,000 Android Authority readers voted, and most don't use haptics on their phones while typing.

Published onOctober 26, 2019

OnePlus 7T using in hand on table

Good smartphone haptics are something you don’t appreciate until your phone has them. Prior to the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 4, I couldn’t have cared less about my phone’s haptics. The Pixel 2 XL’s haptics were bad and mushy, so I turned them off right away. The Pixel 3 and 4’s haptics are fantastic, though, so I keep them on at all times.

We seem to be split here at Android Authority, which is why we asked you last week if you use haptics on your smartphone.

Do you use haptics while typing on your phone?


Out of over 32,000 total votes across the website, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, 59% of voters said they do not use haptics at all. That leaves roughly 41% of voters who use haptics while typing. Interestingly, most voters on the website, Twitter, and YouTube voted the same way, while the Facebook numbers were skewed towards no haptics — about 66% of Facebook voters said they do not use haptics.

I am firmly in the pro haptics camp, so I’m a bit surprised by these numbers. What do you think?

Noteworthy comments

Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:

  • Love the feel of the haptics while typing on my Pixel 3. It’s a nice little thud, like you are actually pressing a button. Like night and day coming from the type of haptic motor that came in the original Pixel
  • When I bought my first Android phone in late 2009 (HTC Tattoo with Android 1.6 Donut), the haptic was lagging and slowing down the device. Like, say you were writing “Hello”, you tapped “H, a, l, l ,o”, then the “H” would show up on the screen, everything would freeze until the haptic engine spun up and made a few “bzzz”, then after a second or five, the rest of the letters would pop up, with some luck. So, I got used to turn it off.
    Since then, many of my phones have had it on by default, but I just think it’s an annoying sound. I doesn’t help me knowing “what” I have written, only “that” I have written.
    And C’mon, how annoying it is to sit next to someone (at work, at home, at commute) and hear “bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, bzzz” all the time.
  • I absolutely hate the feeling of typing without haptic feedback even on my old phone with terrible vibration I kept it on. Otherwise I’m constantly checking if I’m actually typing. How can most people not use it?
  • Nope but only because my phone has a shi**y vibration motor. I would definitely turn it on if I had one of the recent LG flagships or a Pixel
  • I always have it on. When I’m using my friend’s iPhone I go crazy because I can’t tell whether I’m actually typing correctly or not. It just a nice feature, not necessary, but super nice to have.

That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!

You might like