Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: Slider phones aren't for you
In the quest to get rid of bezels, smartphone companies have made countless attempts to redesign smartphones. While most companies are now moving towards hole-punch displays, some are experimenting with sliding phones.
This design concept separates the screen portion of the phone from the rest of the handset. By doing this, the screen can include minimal amounts of bezel as the front-facing camera and other sensors are located behind the display on the main part of the device.
The primary issue with this design is that there are moving pieces. Whether the sliding mechanism is done automatically with a motor or the user has to slide the two pieces apart physically, something could break or get damaged. If that happens, you lose access to the camera and any other sensor hidden behind the display.
Would you buy a slider phone?
Surprisingly, the results are almost split down the middle. While a majority of the 1,800+ voters who voiced their opinion on the website stated that they would buy a slider phone, the polls from Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube all skewed to “no.”
As outlined above, it appears that most people are against the slider form factor because there’s a chance that something might break. But on the other side, a lot of people said they were all for the change in style since it would stop companies from introducing phones with notches and hole-punch cameras.
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- I’d prefer a simple bezel, instead of making the phone more complex, fragile and expensive.
- I prefer the slider option over a notch or a punch hole in the display, and it could work as way to protect the front camera.
- i would rather to not have front camera and no slider
- Yeah why not, i rarely use the front camera anyway
- Pros : • you can play with your slider • possible jack revival ( or sacrificed again for extra something ) • no notch, so full screen ( perhaps with small chin )
Cons : • No IP Rating • possible broken slider cuz’ u playin it a lot
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.