Trying to set up a VPN (virtual private network) account on your Android phone? It’s actually not too hard to do, but what exactly is a VPN and why should you use one? That’s exactly what we aim to explore.
What is a VPN and why should I use it?
A VPN is a system in which computing devices can reroute internet traffic through a server or computer located anywhere in the world. The main reason for doing this is security. When a company or user can reroute its traffic and hide it from local networks, it becomes harder for intruders to snoop through any files or delicate information.
Other people also use it for hiding their location and unlocking geographically restricted services. For example, Netflix or Hulu may not be available in a country you visit. Using a VPN that reroutes you web surfing to a USA computer would then allow you to use said websites.
There are a few types of VPN protocols supported by Android. These would be PPTP, L2TP and IPsec. For more info on what a VPN is exactly, go here.
Okay, now you know what a VPN is, but how do you set it up? There are a few different options. First, let’s talk about how to set up a VPN manually, via Android settings.
How to set up a VPN from the Android settings
- Unlock your phone.
- Open the Settings app.
- Under the “Wireless & networks” section, select “More”.
- Select “VPN”.
- On the top-right corner you will find a + sign, tap it.
- Your network administrator will provide you with all your VPN information. Simply select your desired protocol and enter all the information.
- Hit “Save”.
- You can connect by going back to the VPN settings and selecting your VPN of choice. You will be asked to enter a username and password.
- You can also hit the three-dot menu button to set your VPN to always be on.
How to set up a VPN using an Android app
The easiest way to set up a VPN on Android is to use a VPN app. There are plenty of options out there, though we highly recommend ExpressVPN.
Regardless of which app you choose, setting up is as simple as:
- Heading to Google Play to download the app.
- Opening the app and following the instructions.
- And that’s literally it.
Not sold on ExpressVPN for whatever reason? Be sure to check out our reviews for NordVPN, SaferVPN, IPVanish, and PureVPN. You can also check out our list of the best Android VPN apps (including VPN apps in China!)
Do you use a VPN? Let us know in the comments your favorite VPN.
Read Next: Fastest VPN services you can rely on