Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade HTCSensation to Android 4.0.3 ICS via InsertCoin Custom ROM
The InsertCoin team has given in to the Ice Cream Sandwich demand and has released a custom ROM for your HTCSensation. If you’re not familiar with the name, InsertCoin ROMs are custom ROMs for the HTCDesire and the HTCSensation that are built with speed, stability, and quality in mind.
This latest release, InsertCoin 5.1.1, packs not just Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich but also HTCSense 3.6 and the Ad-Free script.
The InsertCoin 5.0.2 custom ROM also includes features such as:
- Init.d support
- Improved SQLite
- Improved GPU Configuration
- GPU Acceleration ON
- APKs optimized to speed up and reduce memory footprint
- Removed HTCSniffing Tools
- system mounted as RW with barrier=0 option
Though it’s been tested, InsertCoin 5.0.2 is currently an early test build, so there should be a few bugs lurking in places. But, if you’re determined to get this ROM on your HTCSensation, prepare the following before you upgrade:
- A rooted HTCSensation with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Flashing this ROM may delete the data on your phone, such as messages, pictures, apps and music, so make sure to back them up.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged. This is to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the upgrading process.
- Enable USB Debugging. You can do this through “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.”
- InsertCoin custom ROM (get the latest version)
These are the steps for upgrading your HTCSensation to InsertCoin 5.0.2 custom ROM:
- Download the InsertCoin Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 custom ROM ZIP file to your computer. (See the link above.)
- Connect your HTCSensation to your computer via the USB cable.
- Copy the ROM file to the root of your HTCSensation’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your HTCSensation.
- Boot into recovery mode. You can do this by holding the Volume Down key while pressing the Power button. When you see the bootloader screen, select “RECOVERY” and press the Power button.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. This allows you to restore your previous ROM should something not work out with InsertCoin.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and confirm that you want to reset your phone.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” and confirm that you want to wipe the cache.
- Select “Install ZIP from SD Card” and choose the InsertCoin ZIP file. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes for the installation to complete.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back.”
- Select “Reboot System Now.”
Once your HTCSensation reboots, you’ll now be running on the InsertCoin 5.0.2 custom ROM, packed with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and HTCSense 3.6. Congratulations and enjoy!