Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
The Galaxy S22's camera features are coming to these older phones
- Samsung has revealed a variety of S22 series camera features for older Galaxy phones.
- This includes night portraits, pet recognition support, and more.
- The company also shed light on other upcoming One UI 4.1 features.
Samsung’s Galaxy S22 phones are pretty full-featured on the camera front, but it turns out that people with older Galaxy phones will gain some of these features in the future as well.
You can check out the features and the phones that will be getting them via the list below.
- Night portrait mode: Galaxy S21 series, Z Fold3, Z Flip 3, S20 series, Note 20 series, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G
- Pet recognition support: Galaxy S21 series, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3, S21 FE, Note 20 series, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, S20 FE
- Edit the position of lighting in portraits: Galaxy S21 series, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3, S21 FE, Note 20 series, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, S20 FE
- Telephoto support in portrait video: Galaxy S21 series, Z Fold 3, S21 FE
- Better Director’s View: Galaxy S21 series, Z Fold 3, Z Flip 3
- Telephoto support in Pro/Pro Video mode: Galaxy S21 Ultra, Z Fold 3, S20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra, Z Fold 2
- Expert RAW app: Galaxy S21 Ultra (already available), Z Fold 3, Note 20 Ultra, S20 Ultra, Z Fold 2
- Improved Snapchat support (including night mode): Galaxy S21 series
Samsung’s post also notes a few other camera-related additions coming in H1 2022. This includes night portraits via telephoto cameras, the detail enhancement feature in the photo editor, and increasing the number of “people and distances” recognized when using the auto-framing feature.
One UI 4.1 is expected to arrive on the Galaxy S21 series in Korea today, according to official responses in the post thread. This likely means that global S21 series users won’t have long to wait either. There’s no word on update timelines for other devices mentioned in the list above.
Samsung also published an English-language post on its Newsroom website, confirming additional features in One UI 4.1. This includes Google Duo Live Sharing (for Android 12 devices), reflection and shadow erasing in Object Eraser (Galaxy S10 series and newer), and Grammarly integration with Samsung Keyboard.