Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Stable Android 12 update is now landing on the OnePlus Nord (Updated)
- The stable Android 12 update is now available for the OnePlus Nord.
- The software is coming to the phone in the form of the Oxygen OS 12 build.
- Android 12 will be the final major OS update for the OnePlus Nord.
Updated: May 16, 2022 (2 AM ET): OnePlus is now pushing out the Android 12 update to the original OnePlus Nord. With it, the phone gets a stable version of Oxygen OS 12.
Open beta users will see the update first, followed by other stable branch users. The build for EU users requires additional validation steps and will be released in some time.
The update also brings the April 2022 Android security patch to the phone. The complete changelog is the same as the one mentioned in the original post below.
Original article, April 8, 2022 (04:34 PM ET): OnePlus is now pushing out the Android 12 open beta for the first OnePlus Nord. The phone shipped with Android 10 out of the box and as per OnePlus’ two-year update policy, Android 12 will be its final software update, unless the company decides to extend it later.
According to OnePlus’ community post, some of the key updates in the OnePlus Nord’s Oxygen OS 12 open beta include a new battery-saving feature, support for adjustable dark mode levels, new gestures in the gallery, and more. The build also includes all the standard Android 12 features.
On April 27, OnePlus also announced that the Nord 2 is eligible for the Oxygen OS 12 Open Beta 1. OnePlus warned that users of the Nord 2 Pac-Man Edition may want to hold off before upgrading, as the beta may remove some Pac-Man features.
You can read the full changelog of the Oxygen OS 12 Open Beta 1 update below, along with some known issues with the beta software.
Meanwhile, if you’re rocking the OnePlus Nord 2, you’ll have to wait a little longer for the Android 12 open beta build. The company recently announced a closed beta testing program for the phone so it may take a while to roll out the public beta build.
- [Added] Smart Battery Engine, a feature that prolongs your battery life based on smart algorithms and biomimetic self-restoration technology
- [Optimized] desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- [Supported] three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- [Added] new additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- [Added] access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- [Added] WorkLife Balance feature, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- [Supported] automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization Gallery
- [Supported] switching between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- [Added] new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- [Added] multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- [Optimized] software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
- [Added] HyperBoost end-to-end frame rate stabilizer
- [Added] Voice effect preview to allow you to record your voice effect or check your voice effect in real-time
- The left bottom button of the keyboard may disappear.
- Unable to browse, delete and download pictures in Cloud.
- Personal Safe may not respond.
- Anti-shake effect in Snapchat may not be obvious.
- The screen may flicker when previewing after taking pictures.
How to download?
OnePlus lists the following steps for downloading the Oxygen OS 12 open beta based on Android 12 on the OnePlus Nord:
- Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from here.
- Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone’s local storage.
- Go to Settings > System > System Updates > Click top right icon > Local upgrade > Click on the corresponding installation package > upgrade.
- After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
- Update successful.
If you’re not happy with the software, you can always roll back to the stable Android 11 build by downloading the rollback package.