Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: The Zenfone 6's flip camera is the best motorized design
In order to avoid display notches, companies started implementing motorized camera modules. Most companies have incorporated pop-up cameras that tuck away inside the phone when not in use.
But as so many OEMs have decided to use varying designs, we decided to ask you which mechanism is the best. Here’s what you had to say.
Which motorized or sliding camera is the best?
Nearly 1,500 readers voted in this week’s poll. According to them, 42 percent believe that the ASUS Zenfone 6’s flip-out camera is the best. Instead of a motor popping the front-facing sensor, one set of cameras are used for both rear and selfie shots.
Most of the comments actually state that they don’t like any phone with a motorized camera. As moving parts tent to break, most worry that something will break over time. Plus, the motor makes it nearly impossible to make these phones waterproof.
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- None of the above for me. Any moving parts are prone to failure, and given how rough I can be on them, it’ll be worse than normal for me. It also negates an IP rating which I’m not going to get a phone without. Then again I could go with no front facing camera and be perfectly happy that way too.
- OnePlus 7 Pro (and Nex S) have a more elegant design, IMO. As someone who never uses their front-facing camera, it’s a better choice than a notch or hole punch-out.
- Just a notch or hole punch is good until we get under-display cameras. These weird gimmicky popup slider things are trash.
- I think the Samsung A80 has a nifty slide and flip mechanism. it would definitely get some attention. As a person who rarely uses the front facing camera, I am glad it’s tucked away on my OnePlus 7 Pro. the facial recognition is fun though. OnePlus gets a close Second.
- no moving cameras or any other part
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!