Search results for

All search results
Best daily deals

Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.

Over $1 billion was spent shopping with smartphones and tablets during Black Friday 2016

Adobe says that $1.2 billion was spend during Black Friday 2016 in the US by using a mobile device. It's the first time that number has exceeded $1 billion.

Published onNovember 27, 2016

black friday

If you used a smartphone or tablet to shop for the big discounts during Black Friday 2016, you were definitely not alone. A new study from Adobe shows that U.S. shoppers spend $1.2 billion during the biggest shopping day of the year with a mobile device. It’s the first time that mobile online shopping revenues have exceeded $1 billion during Black Friday.

Overall, $5.27 billion was spent on online shopping during Thanksgiving (November 24) and Black Friday (November 25), according to Adobe, with Thanksgiving claiming $1.93 billion and Black Friday getting $3.34 billion. In fact, the majority of visits to retail websites during Black Friday were from mobile devices, with 45 percent coming from smartphones and 10 percent from tablets, for a total of 55 percent. Actual direct online sales from mobile devices are lower; Adobe says they accounted for 36 percent of all online sales, with 25 percent from smartphones, and 11 percent from tablets.

While Black Friday 2016’s online sales numbers may be so good, Adobe thinks they could surpass the revenues from Cyber Monday on November 28, which traditionally has been the year’s biggest online shopping day of the year. Many retailers have been extending Black Friday discounts for products and services through Cyber Monday, so we will have to see if that prediction turns out to be correct.