Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
May 2018 Android security patch now available for Pixel, Nexus devices
We’re just one day away from Google I/O, where we’ll surely learn more details about Android P, the next major version of Android. In the meantime, Google has released the May 2018 Android security patch for Pixel and Nexus devices.
Android 8.1 Oreo factory images and OTA files are now available for download for the Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X. Note there are two versions of the update available for the Pixel 2 and 2 XL, though we’re not sure of the difference between the two at this time. You can download factory images and OTA files for your device at the links below:
- Google Pixel 2 XL (OPM2.171019.029.B1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Google Pixel 2 (OPM2.171019.029.B1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Google Pixel XL (OPM4.171019.016.B1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Google Pixel (OPM4.171019.016.B1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Google Pixel C (OPM4.171019.016.C1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Nexus 6P (OPM2.171019.029.A1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
- Nexus 5X (OPM4.171019.016.A1, May 2018): factory image, OTA
If you aren’t comfortable sideloading these updates, fear not — these updates should arrive over-the-air over the next week or so. If you’d like to learn how to sideload updates, feel free to check out our guide right here.
As expected, Google released a new Android Security Bulletin for May 2018, detailing all the security vulnerabilities that were patched this past month. There’s also a new Pixel/Nexus Security Bulletin for May, which notes that this update improves multitouch detection on all Pixel and Nexus devices, as well as an adjustment to the Pixel XL’s charging behavior.