The reason why the download was withdrawn, or indeed why it was made available in the first place, remains a mystery. Android Police suggests it was only HTC 10 owners with Sunshine S-Off—a paid-for boot unlocking tool for HTC devices—that were able to flash the RUU file, while those without it had tried and failed to do the same.
This wouldn’t be the first time the HTC has had problems with an HTC 10 update; last year, the Android Nougat deployment in Europe was put on hold due to a technical issue soon after it started to land. We’ll let you know about the status of the Oreo update when we learn more.
Update #1 (01/12): HTC is now rolling out the Android Oreo update to the HTC 10, according to reports from Android Police and Android developer/leaker @LlabTooFeR. The update is hitting the US unlocked devices with software version 3.16.617.2, and its RUU is also available for download separately (some users are reporting errors when trying to install it manually, though).
The update includes all the expected Oreo features like picture-in-picture mode, improved notifications and instant apps, and comes in at about 1.8 GB. Meanwhile, LlabTooFeR also threw out speculation that the European HTC 10 would get Oreo within the next 3-5 weeks.
As for individual carrier updates, these should follow in the coming weeks, but note that there was more than a two-month gap between T-Mobile and Verizon updates last year, so you could be waiting some time.
Welcome to the HTC 10 Android update tracker page. This page covers all major U.S. carriers with a quick reference table for each and a log with links to further details. It will be regularly updated with the latest HTC 10 update information, but it won’t include general security patches.
We recommend you bookmark this page so you can stay up to date with the very latest updates.
HTC 10 Android Oreo update
The HTC 10 began to receive Android Nougat back in November, making HTC one of the first manufacturers to roll it out. Though the device isn’t the company priority that it was last year, reports came in on January 11 that the Oreo update was hitting unlocked devices in the US. This would have been good form for HTC, but it appears that it was a false alarm.
We’re not sure what’s next for the rollout in the US, but the European deployment may be only a few weeks away. More soon.
HTC 10 Update US
|HTC 10 update - US||Android 6.0.1||Android 7.0||Android 8.0|
T-Mobile HTC 10 update (2PS6500):
- January 7, 2017, T-Mobile issues the HTC 10 Android Nougat update to its customers.
Sprint HTC 10 update (2PS6500):
- February 20, 2017, Sprint starts rolling out the final Nougat build to the HTC 10. It includes the latest security patches and network performance improvements.
Verizon HTC 10 update (2PS6500):
- March 30, 2017, Verizon has begun rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat to HTC 10 devices on its network.
- March 29, 2017, HTC Vice President of Product Management Mo Versi announces that the Android Nougat OTA for HTC 10 owners on Verizon will begin on March 30.
- December 29, 2016, Verizon rolls out latest HTC 10 security patches, Nougat still to arrive.
International HTC 10 update (2PS6200):
- February 23, 2017, Android Nougat confirmed in India on HTC 10.
- February 7, 2017, update starts again in mainland Europe.
- January 26, 2017, Nougat rolls out in Russia, Middle East and Turkey, but is delayed in Europe following technical issues.
- January 24, 2017, Android Nougat hits the UK, the rest of Europe to follow soon after.
If you’ve received an update we’ve missed, hit the comments below or Tip Us!