Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use the new triathlon mode on the Apple Watch
Within the WatchOS 9 update, Apple bolstered its on-device offerings for endurance sports athletes. Among the features added to users’ wrists is a new Multisport mode. Find out how to use this triathlon-friendly workout mode to record your next event right on your Apple Watch.
Read more: Everything you need to know about Apple’s wearables
To use triathlon mode on your Apple Watch, open the Workout app, then scroll to and tap Multisport.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to use triathlon mode
Apple’s new Multisport workout mode offers athletes the ability to combine running, cycling, and swimming exercises in one single workout. The Apple Watch will even automatically identify when users switch between activities.
- Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch.
- Scroll to and tap Multisport workout. The default multisport workout will be Triathlon.
- Alternatively, you can tap the More icon (three dots) to choose a different combination of activities or to build a custom multisport workout.
How to create a custom multisport workout
As mentioned, users can also create a multisport workout from scratch. If you don’t want to record a full marathon, it’s easy to build and save tailored workouts. Choose a unique combo of activities, customize workout views, goals, and more. Multisport workouts can include any combination of the following activities:
- Outdoor Run
- Outdoor Cycle
- Open Water Swim
- Indoor Run
- Indoor Cycle
- Pool Swim
Apple Watch users can create multisport or modified triathlon workouts with a few taps right on their device.
- Open the Workout app and scroll to Multisport.
- Tap the More icon (three dots).
- Scroll all the way down and tap Create Workout.
- Tap Add, then tap the first activity you want to include.
- Repeat for each activity you want to include.
- Once added, tap on each activity to customize workout views and alerts or to reorder the legs of your workout.
- Tap Untitled under Custom Title, and enter a name for the workout.
- Tap Create Workout.
One quirk to this customization is that you cannot create a workout with back-to-back indoor and outdoor versions of the same activity. For example, you can create a workout Outdoor Run, Outdoor Cycle, Indoor Run, but not Outdoor Run, Indoor Run, Outdoor Cycle. Likewise, you cannot add an Outdoor Cycle immediately following Indoor Cycle, or Pool Swim immediately after Open Water Swim.
Up next: Can the Apple Watch track sleep?
The Apple Watch Ultra offers Precision Start, making it the best option for triathletes and other users competing in races.
Yes. According to Apple, the Apple Watch Ultra offers 36 hours of battery. This can be extended to about 60 hours with the device’s Low Power Mode.
To delete a Multisport workout, tap the More icon (three dots) on the Multisport workout tile. Tap the pencil icon next to the workout you want to delete, then scroll down and tap Delete Workout. Tap Delete to confirm.