Chromebooks continue to improve with each passing year, and they’re finally valid laptop alternatives. They don’t suffer from many of the tablets’ limitations, but Chromebooks still have a few quirks. One such drawback is that there’s no way to download iTunes on a Chromebook easily. It’s an unfortunate hurdle to deal with, and it can pose significant problems for iOS users. Luckily, there’s a workaround, and here’s what you need to do.
See also: The best Chromebooks to get
We’re primarily going to show you how to bring your favorite iTunes songs over to YouTube Music. Google Play Music has gone the way of the dodo, so this is your best bet. You can technically boot your Chromebook running Linux and add iTunes that way, but it’s very complicated for most users.
How to use iTunes on a Chromebook
Once again, there’s no easy way to download iTunes software to your Chromebook. Instead, we’re going to show you how to download YouTube Music and port your music over. You already have a YouTube Music account, thanks to your Google account, so this should be very easy. Here’s what to do:
- Open Chrome on your Chromebook and head to the YouTube Music homepage.
- Select the More button in the top right corner (it should look like three vertical dots).
- Locate and select the Install YouTube Music button from the drop-down menu.
- Click Install from the pop-up window to confirm your selection.
Now you have YouTube Music installed on your Chromebook, and we can get into the most important steps.
How to copy your iTunes library into YouTube Music
You’ve already installed the correct app to your Chromebook, so now you’ll have to head to whichever Mac or PC you keep your iTunes music on.
- Install the YouTube Music Chrome app on your Mac or PC.
- Once you’ve installed the app and logged in, click on your profile icon from the YouTube Music homepage.
- Locate the Upload music option in the dropdown menu.
- In the window, locate your iTunes folder and select the songs, albums, or anything else you want to add.
- Now, click Open to upload the items to YouTube Music.
You may find that it helps to label your iTunes folder very clearly before you upload. This may save you some time in finding your preferred songs and albums.
How do you access the iTunes music you’ve uploaded on your Chromebook?
At this point, all of the hard work is done. Your music already calls YouTube Music home, but how do you find it? It won’t be in the main section of your library, but you can head to the Uploads section of your Songs tab. From there, you can access everything that you’ve uploaded in one convenient place.
What if you switched to Apple Music?
If you’ve ditched iTunes in favor of Apple Music, you can skip all of the steps we’ve talked about above. Apple built a version of its Apple Music app for Android, so you can head to the Play Store and download it. Once it’s installed, open the app and log in. Now you should be able to dig into all of your favorite songs and playlists without any issues.
See also: Apple Music: Everything you need to know
There’s not much else to it. You’re now fully trained to bring your favorite songs from iTunes over to your Chromebook. We’ll let you know if any of these steps change in the future.