Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to stream from Kodi to Chromecast — It’s easier than you think
Unlike YouTube videos, you can’t stream content from Kodi to your Chromecast just by selecting the Cast button. Setting Kodi up with Chromecast requires a few extra steps, which differ depending on the device. Here’s how to do it on your computer and Android phone.
Stream Kodi to Chromecast using your Android smartphone. Open the Google Home app, tap on the Chromecast device, and select Cast my screen. Confirm by tapping on Cast screen and then Start now. Then, open the Kodi app to stream away.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast from Android
There were two ways to stream content from Kodi to Chromecast via your Android device, but the more complex one seems to have been broken by more recent versions of Android. There’s now only one way to do it. The good news is this is the easiest method. It has a drawback: you can’t turn off your phone’s screen while streaming. This drains your battery and can be an external light source, which may be annoying. You can always alleviate this by lowering the phone’s screen brightness as much as possible or laying the phone screen side down.
How to cast your Android screen to Chromecast:
- Download the Google Home app from the Play Store and launch it once installed.
- Go to the Devices tab.
- Find your Chromecast. Tap and hold on to it.
- Select the Cast my screen option.
- Confirm by tapping Cast screen.
- Tap on Start now.
- Your device screen and audio should be streaming to Chromecast. Go to the Kodi app and access your media as you wish.
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast from a PC
Streaming Kodi from your PC to your Chromecast is a breeze, too.
How to cast your PC screen to Chromecast:
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Click the menu icon in the top-right corner (three vertical dots) and select Cast.
- Under Sources, select Cast screen.
- Click on the device you want to cast to. If you have multiple monitors, pick the one you want to cast, then select Share.
- Open Kodi and start watching content on the big screen.
Install Kodi on Google TV
The process is much easier if you have a Chromecast with Google TV (or any Google TV device, for that matter). You can install the Kodi app directly on the Google TV!
- Turn on your Chromecast with Google TV or Google TV television.
- Go into the Apps tab.
- Search for Kodi and go into the app page.
- Hit Install.
- Select Open.
- Use the Kodi app to play whatever you wish.
Yes. You can get add-ons to stream all kinds of content and even Live TV. Arguably, though, most of these can be easily cast from the official apps. It might be easier than setting up Kodi.
Yes, Kodi supports playing your local videos, photos, games, etc.
Not anymore. There is, however, an official Kodi app for Chromecast with Google TV. This means you won’t even need to use another device if you have Google TV.
We didn’t include a specific guide for getting Kodi on Chromecast with Google TV because this is a general post for streaming from another device. Additionally, it only works for users with a Chromecast with Google TV. Doing this is easy, though. On your Chromecast with Google TV, perform a search for “Kodi.” Then install the app and launch it.
Because iOS doesn’t allow to cast the screen to a Chromecast device, you can’t stream Kodi from an iPhone to Chromecast.