Maybe you’ve forgotten your password, or maybe a hacker is to blame. We wouldn’t blame you if you were just taking some time off of social media either. Whatever the reason, you have to know how to get back into your Facebook profile. Luckily, it’s pretty easy to regain access with a little bit of work. Here’s everything you need to know on how to recover your Facebook account.
Of course, getting back into your Facebook account isn’t the only handy guide we have. Be sure to check out a few of these other pages if you want to learn more:
- How to delete your Facebook account
- 10 best alternative Facebook apps for Android
- How to change your Instagram username in less than a minute
There’s more than one way to recover your Facebook account. However, your options will depend on how much information you’ve provided to the social network previously. We’ll run through a few of the easiest options to help you get your profile back up and running.
How to recover your Facebook account:
- Log in from another device
- Default recovery options
- Use Trusted Contacts
- Report your profile as compromised
Log in from another device
Nowadays most people are logged into social media in more than one location. Whether it’s a phone and a laptop or a laptop and a tablet, you might have multiple access points to recover your Facebook account. Of course, this only really works if you’ve forgotten your password and you need to log in on a new device. If you’re logged in on more than one device and you want to reset your password, just follow these steps:
- Open the dropdown menu at the top right corner and proceed to the Settings screen.
- While in the settings menu, head to the Security and Login tab on the left-hand side. It’s located below the General tab.
- Find the section labeled Where you’re logged in. This will show you all devices which currently have access to your Facebook account.
- Go to the Login section just below Where you’re logged in and select the Change password button.
- Now, enter your current password as well as a new password twice. You can also choose Forgot your password? instead.
- If you’re able to set a new password, you should now be able to access your Facebook account on your new device.
Again, this method only works if you already have access to your Facebook account on another device.
Default Facebook recovery options
If you’re not logged into Facebook on any platforms, you may need to go through the standard recovery procedure. One of the easiest ways to get started is with the use of one of your friends’ profiles. You’ll have to follow these steps:
- Have your friend search for your Facebook profile and view it.
- Open the menu with three dots at the top right of the page.
- Choose Find Support or Report Profile.
- Select I can’t access my account from a list of options, which will log you out and begin the recovery process.
Once you’ve logged out of your friend’s profile, you’ll see the familiar Forgot your password screen asking for some information. Now, follow these steps:
- Enter your phone number or email address in the textbox.
- Press the Search button to view a list of possible matched accounts.
- Select your account from the list and choose a preferred contact method or select No longer have access to these.
- If you have access to those contact methods, choose Continue and wait for Facebook to send you a code.
- Enter the retrieved code into the text box and you should be good to go.
Use Trusted Contacts to recover your Facebook account
One of the best ways to recover your Facebook account is with a little help from your friends. Facebook calls this option Trusted Contacts, but it only works if you still have some access to your profile. You’ll have to list a few friends as trusted contacts for the next time you get locked out. They can then help you get back in. Here are the steps to follow:
- Navigate to the Settings menu at the top right corner of your Facebook page.
- Open the Security and Login tab and scroll down to the Setting up extra security options.
- Select Choose 3 to 5 friends to contact if you get logged out.
- As the name suggests, you can now choose a few users from your list of friends to receive instructions should you get locked out.
- Now you can proceed through the Forgot password options until you are asked for an email or phone number. You can choose that you no longer have access to these and instead enter the name of a Trusted Contact.
- From there, both you and your Trusted Contact will receive instructions on how to recover your Facebook account.
Report your profile as compromised
One last trick to recover your Facebook account only really works if your account has been accessed to post spam. You’ll have to mark your profile as compromised, but the rest of the steps should look fairly familiar. Just give these a try:
- Head to facebook.com/hacked and choose from a list of options.
- Select continue and wait to be redirected to a login screen.
- Now, enter your current password or the last password you can remember.
- Login with your previous password and then try one of the methods listed above to reset a new password.
There you go! Four ways to regain access to your Facebook account. If none of these methods did the trick, it may be time to set up an entirely new page. Luckily that fresh start can give you an entirely new opportunity to create a password that you won’t forget any time soon.