Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
From Stadia to Play Store titles, here's how to play games on your Android TV
Android TV is a pretty diverse platform as far as apps are concerned. You get the might of the Google Play Store with all Android TV devices after all. So when it comes to playing games on Android TV, you have a sizeable selection to choose from. You can check out the entire collection of Android TV games on the Google Play Store here. Then, you can follow the steps below to start downloading and playing them!
Don’t miss: The best Android TV apps you can get right now
How to play games on Android TV
To play games on your Android TV, you’ll need a hardware controller. Your Android TV’s remote might also work depending on the game. However, a controller would be a better option for precision gaming. Most games with controller support can be played on the Android TV platform. However, not all Android TV boxes are made equal, in that some may support a particular controller while others may not. Nevertheless, if you want to play a game available on the Google Play Store on your Android TV, here’s how you can do so.
- Head to the home screen on your Android TV device.
- Select the Apps section on the left using your remote or the D-pad on your controller.
- Open the Google Play Store by pressing the Get More Apps button on top or choose the Play Store icon.
- Once you’re inside the Play Store, select the Games category from the row above.
- Choose a game you would like to download or simply search for it by name.
- If the game is free: Select Install. If not, select the game’s price.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish your game installation.
Once a game is installed, you will see it in your apps library, the My Apps section in the Google Play Store, and the Google Play Games app. If you want to buy a game, you will need to have a payment method associated with your account. You can head to your Google Play account to see all your payment methods or add/remove them.
Some games also let you try them out before installing. They display a Try Now button in the Play Store next to the install button. This is a good way of experiencing a game before you make up your mind about purchasing or downloading it.
Games that require a gamepad or controller will mention that in their Play Store description. Be sure to read it beforehand.
Now that you know how to download and play games on Android TV, you can check out our curated list of the best Android TV games to get started.
Can you play Google Stadia games on Android TV?
Google Stadia is now available on Chromecast with Google TV and Android TV devices. You can either head to the Google Play Store from your computer and install the app remotely or install it directly from your device with Google TV/Android TV by saying “Stadia app” to the Google Assistant.
The following Android TV devices support Stadia gaming:
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Hisense Android Smart TVs (U7G, U8G, U9G)
- NVIDIA Shield TV
- NVIDIA Shield TV Pro
- Walmart Onn FHD Streaming Stick and UHD Streaming Device
- Philips 8215, 8505, and OLED 935/805 Series Android TVs
- Xiaomi Mi Box 3 and Mi Box 4
if you want support for Stadia on Android TV devices that aren’t on the list, don’t worry. In those situations, you can try out “experimental” support for Stadia on your system. You just might face a few issues getting it working correctly.
You can also try sideloading the Stadia phone app on your Android TV. To play Stadia games on your Android TV, you’ll need a mouse for setup, a game controller, and the Stadia APK that you’ll have to sideload.