Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to pair your PS4 DualShock controller to various devices
Whether you love playing on PC, console, or you are a mobile gamer, there’s no denying that some games work best with a controller. The PS4 DualShock controller is on the top of the list for many, thanks to its slim frame, comfortable feel, and great feedback. This is why we will explain how to pair your PlayStation 4 DualShock controller to various devices, no matter your gaming platform of choice.
How to pair a PS4 controller to a PlayStation 4
If you damaged your PS4 controller in a fit of rage after countless deaths to various Bloodborne bosses, it’s time for a replacement. But how do you pair your new DualShock 4 to your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro? It’s very simple. Here’s what you need to do:
- Find the original micro USB cable which comes included with your PlayStation console. It’s the cable you would typically use to charge your PS4 controllers.
- Connect the cable to your console and then plug it into the DualShock 4 controller you would like to pair.
- Press the PlayStation button in the middle of the controller. If it has been paired successfully, the light bar should glow steadily without blinking. Don’t worry about the color – it changes according to the number of controllers currently paired.
- If your controller is already charged, all that’s left to do is to unplug it and enjoy your favorite game.
How to pair a PS4 controller to a Windows PC
One of the best things about PC gaming is the freedom of choice and the variety of peripherals. So, if you are stuck and can’t unlock all your Super Meat Boy achievements with a keyboard, you can always make use of your PS4 controller. Pairing a PS4 controller to your PC is not as simple as an Xbox controller, but it’s by no means impossible. First, you will need to install DS4Windows. This software will trick your computer into recognizing your DualShock 4 as an Xbox controller.
Here is what you need to do after downloading the latest build of DS4Windows:
- Right-click on the ZIP file and select Extract All or Extract Here.
- Open the DS4 folder and double click the DS4Windows.exe file. You will be asked where you want the settings and profiles to be saved. Select either Program Folder or Appdata depending on your preference. We recommend selecting Program Folder.
- Follow the on-screen steps and install the correct driver for your Windows version.
- Plug-in your DualShock 4 into your PC with a micro USB cable, and you are good to go.
If you want to use the controller wirelessly, your PC or laptop needs to have a Bluetooth receiver built-in. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor. If you have one already, here’s what you need to do:
- Turn the Bluetooth on your PC/laptop. On Windows 8 and 10, you can usually do so via PC Settings > PC and devices > Bluetooth.
- Press and hold the PlayStation and Share buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds. The light bar should begin to flash. The PS4 DualShock should then appear in the list of Bluetooth devices as Wireless controller. Click and pair the device.
- You may be asked for a pair code. If so, enter 0000.
- Start up your favorite game and enjoy!
Note: Steam games are supposed to work with a PS4 controller without the need to install additional software. However, that’s not always the case. We, therefore, recommend installing DS4Windows regardless.
How to pair a PS4 controller to an Android smartphone or tablet
Ports of PC games, especially indies, can often be found on Google Play. Nevertheless, touch controls are far from ideal for some of these titles. This is where your DualShock 4 comes in once again to save the day! Pairing it with your Android phone is incredibly easy. No need for rooting or installing additional apps! All you need to do is turn your Bluetooth on (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth) and follow the same steps as described in the PC wireless pairing above.
However, we do have to warn you that the PlayStation 4 controller might not be compatible with some games even if paired correctly. You can check out our list of Android games with gamepad support and test them out. iOS devices, on the other hand, do not work with a PS4 controller natively.
These are our tips on how to pair a PS4 DualShock 4 controller to your various devices. Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments below.