Regardless of how you choose to pronounce the word, a GIF is often the perfect way to express emotions. These animated images can say more than the 1,000 words a still photo expresses, but it is also more “snackable” than a full-fledged video. Have you ever wondered how they are made? Today we are here to show you how to make GIFs. After this tutorial you might create the next viral GIF.
Plenty of automated services online can make GIFs. Among them are Ezgif, Gfycat, and Giphy. Today we are using the latter, which has long been considered an unbeatable GIF champion. This is likely due to their extensive library, ease of use, and quality. It’s also easy to share these creations with the world, making Giphy an ever-growing GIF machine.
The process should be similar with other online GIF creators, but here is how you can create one in Giphy.
- Using any browser, go to Giphy.com.
- Hit Create in the top-right corner to enter the GIF Maker.
- You will see three available options, allowing you to make one out of images or videos, which you can upload. Alternatively, you can enter a URL for any online video including those in Youtube or Vimeo. Videos must be under 100MB or 15 seconds long.
- Use the sliders to pick your start time and duration time.
- Select Continue to decorate. You can now customize it with captions, filters, stickers, and drawings.
- Select Continue to upload when done.
- Select your tags and hit Upload to Giphy.
Here’s one I just made using Giphy:
Make a GIF using your smartphone
That was simple enough. Now imagine doing it from your smartphone. You could technically use Giphy’s GIF maker from your device’s browser, but a mobile-optimized solution is a much better idea for creating fun GIFs on-the-go.
There is a plethora of apps out there for making them. We have created a post with our favorite GIF creators, which you can check out by pressing the button below.
Make a GIF using Photoshop
Those wanting to get serious about their GIFs can go with Photoshop. This professional-grade software isn’t free and isn’t cheap, but it will give you more freedom to customize them as you wish.
- Open Photoshop using your computer.
- Go to File.
- Put your cursor over Import and select Video Frames To Layers….
- Select a video and hit Open.
- If the whole video will become the GIF, leave the option From Beginning To End on.
- To trim the video, select the option Selected Range Only and use the trim controls to specify your beginning and ending. You can also limit the frames used.
- Now you can edit your layers/frame as you would any other image in Photoshop. Color correction, exposure, contrast, and highlights are only a few of the options available to you.
- When you are ready to export, select File, put your cursor over Export, and select Save For Web (Legacy)…
- You can play with the settings here, or you can just hit Save.
Here are three ways to make a GIF from a video. You can use fancy software, a simple mobile app, or an online tool. Regardless of your choice, make sure your GIF is fun. Ultimately, that is all that matters.