Pokeballs are the most important item in Pokemon Go. Obviously, you’ll need them to catch Pokemon. There are three different kinds of Pokeballs that you can find. The regular Pokeball is fairly ubiquitous but later levels allow you to unlock Great Balls, Master Balls, and Ultra Balls as well. Here is a short guide on how you can find them.
- If you’re new to the game, we recommend checking out our beginner’s guide on how to play Pokemon Go!
How do I unlock Great Balls, Master Balls, and Ultra Balls?
You’ll start the game with Pokeballs with more powerful balls unlocked later on. Here are the level caps for each one:
- You start the game with Pokeballs unlocked.
- You’ll unlock Great Balls at level 12.
- Ultra Balls unlock at level 20.
- Master Balls will be available starting at level 30.
They unlock automatically as soon as you reach the proper level without any input from you. Check out our guide here for maximizing your XP so you can get to those levels faster!
How do I get Pokeballs?
The process of obtaining the various balls is actually very easy and you can get them several ways:
- They drop most frequently at Pokestops. The odds of getting the higher level balls is slightly smaller than the standard Pokeball but they should all show up consistently. You’ll get at least one Pokeball pretty much every time you spin the wheel.
- You’ll often get them as rewards for leveling up. We don’t recommend relying on this to stock them up for long-term use, but it is a nice bump when you get them.
- You can buy Pokeballs from the in-game store using Pokecoins. You’ll get 20 Pokeballs for 100 coins, 100 balls for 460 coins, and 200 balls for 800 coins. Here’s a helpful guide on how to get free Pokecoins so you can buy them! Please note that you cannot buy Great Balls, Ultra Balls, or Master Balls this way.
It doesn’t sound like much, but some patience and good play will have your inventory full in no time!
Tips and Tricks for Pokeballs
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you maximize your potential with your Pokeballs:
- Using Razz Berries can help you catch Pokemon using fewer throws. This can help extend your inventory and use fewer balls. Here’s a helpful guide on how to use (and where to find) Razz Berries!
- There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that throwing curveballs or having good/great/excellent throws helps improve your capture rate. If true, this would also help extend your inventory by helping you catch Pokemon faster. We recommend you try using these types of throws. In the worst case scenario, you’re getting extra XP.
- In most cities, areas such as parks tend to have a lot more Pokestops that are closer together than average. Check these kinds of landmarks if you’re criminally low on items. These havens can help boost your inventory quickly. Popular parks will also have people there that also may be tossing up Lures that you can play on as well.
- Make sure you use the correct balls for the correct situations. Pokeballs are only so effective against Pokemon of a certain CP level. If you’re going up against something with over 1000CP, grab the Razz Berries and Ultra Balls. Similarly, don’t waste Ultra Balls on extremely low CP Pokemon.
- Master Balls are a rare and wonderful resource. Save them for the toughest, rarest, and most desirable Pokemon! They don’t fall from trees which makes conservation extremely important.
Really, most of these tips and tricks are about proper item management and usage. We can show you how to get all the Pokeballs in the world (just hang out at Pokestops all day), but a good strategy on how to use them is just as valuable as having them to begin with!
That about does it for this tutorial folks! If you have any additional information or tips and tricks, tell us about them in the comments! Don’t forget to check out the latest Pokemon Go news by clicking here!