Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use a Razz Berry in Pokemon Go, what they do, and where you can find them!
- Check out our beginner’s guide on how to play Pokemon Go!
- Stay up to date on the latest Pokemon Go news!
How to use a Razz Berry in Pokemon Go
Razz Berry items can only be used while you are in the act of catching a Pokemon. Here is how it works exactly:
- Find a Pokemon on your radar and tap on it so that you can enter the screen where you can catch the Pokemon.
- Tap the backpack icon in the bottom right corner. This will open up your items.
- Scroll down and select the Razz Berry.
- The Razz Berry will now appear on your screen where the Poke Ball usually sits.
- Fling the Razz Berry at the Pokemon like you would a Poke Ball. Don’t worry, you can’t miss the throw. Razz Berries have a 100% hit rate.
After the process is finished, proceed to catch the Pokemon as normal using Poke Balls, Great Balls, or Ultra Balls.
What Razz Berries do in Pokemon Go
Razz Berries make Pokemon easier to catch. The general idea is that you use a Razz Berry and it increases the odds that a Pokemon won’t block your next throw or bust out of the Poke Ball. There are a variety of uses for something like this. It can make Pokemon easier to catch with lesser balls because you don’t want to waste your Great Balls on a 200CP Rattata. Here are some fun facts about how Razz Berries work in Pokemon Go:
- When you’re trying to catch a Pokemon, holding your finger on the Poke Ball (without throwing it) will show a circle around Pokemon. The circle around the Pokemon can be green, yellow, orange, or red. Green is the easiest to catch while red is the hardest. You’ll likely want to use Razz Berries on Pokemon with red or orange circles because yellow and green are fairly easy to catch already.
- Razz Berries make Pokemon easier to catch, but it does not guarantee capture. Pokemon can still bust out of the Poke Ball once caught, run away, and it will still dodge your throws. Razz Berries make these events less frequent and will not eliminate them completely.
- The effect of a Razz Berry wears off after a couple of catch attempts. If you’re in a particularly long engagement with a Pokemon, you may have to use multiple Razz Berries.
- Razz Berries do not affect your ability to throw Poke Balls. In other words, it won’t make your throws straighter or make Pokemon easier targets. The Razz Berry mechanics in Pokemon Go only start working once the Pokemon is in the ball.
- Razz Berries become more effective when you’re higher leveled and larger, more powerful Pokemon start showing up. Since they are a fairly common resource, don’t be afraid to use them liberally!
There is an almost comedic lack of in-depth information about Razz Berries in Pokemon Go. The short version is that they increase the probability that a Pokemon will stay in a Poke Ball once you get one in there.
Where to find Razz Berries in Pokemon Go
Razz Berries are among the more common items in Pokemon Go. You can’t buy them in the shop which is great news because you probably wouldn’t want to buy them anyway. Here is where you can find them:
- All Pokestops have decent odds of dropping a Razz Berry or two. According to most guides, they’ll start dropping Razz Berries regularly after you have reached level eight. It’s actually quite easy to gather tons of Razz Berries without trying too hard.
- Razz Berries are frequently given out as rewards when you level up. You won’t get many this way, but that’s okay because you will get more than enough at Pokestops.
Razz Berries may be among the most underrated items in Pokemon Go. They make the capture attempts easier and that’s helpful because it will save you Poke Balls, Great Balls, and Ultra Balls in the long run. If you run into a big, powerful, or rare Pokemon, your first reaction should be reaching into the old backpack to pick up some Razz Berries. You won’t regret it. If you have any fun Razz Berry related tips, tricks, or stories, tell us about them in the comments!