Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to find your Apple Watch when it's lost or stolen
If the worst happens and your Apple Watch is lost or stolen, don’t panic — your wristwear isn’t necessarily gone forever. It’s possible to find your Apple Watch if it’s online, and you can prevent others from using it or accessing its data. You just need to follow a few important steps.
How to find your Apple Watch using your iPhone
While you have your Apple Watch, it’s important that you set up Find My iPhone on your paired iPhone by tapping Settings>your name>iCloud>Find My iPhone. Once you enable it, your Apple Watch will be automatically findable. Be aware that Find My is the only way to locate your Apple Watch online — Apple and authorities can’t track it separately. Once you’re ready, use the steps below to find your Apple Watch using your iPhone.
- Launch the Find My app (the radar icon) on your iPhone.
- Tap the Devices tab.
- Tap your Apple Watch to see it on the map.
- If your Apple Watch is in the list, you can tap Play Sound to make it ring, Directions to navigate to it, and the Notify When Found toggle to alert you if the device isn’t found right away.
- Tap Activate under the Mark as Lost section if you believe the Apple Watch is lost or stolen. This will require your passcode before anyone can disable Find My, reset the watch, or pair with an iPhone.
- If your Apple Watch isn’t on the map and you’ve marked it as lost, strongly consider changing your Apple ID password and reporting the watch to the police.
How to find your Apple Watch using a computer
Again, be sure to set up Find My iPhone on your paired iPhone while you still have your watch. It’s the only way you can track your Apple Watch online if it’s misplaced. Once that’s done, you can find your Apple Watch on any computer with a reasonably modern web browser. You just need to follow a straightforward process.
- Visit iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. If you have two-step authentication enabled, you may be asked to verify that it’s you.
- Click Find iPhone.
- Click All Devices, then choose your Apple Watch.
- If your Apple Watch is present, you can click Play Sound to make it ring, Lost Mode to restrict access (similar to Mark As Lost on iPhone), or Erase Apple Watch to wipe the device.
- If the device doesn’t appear on the map, strongly consider changing your Apple ID password and reporting the watch to the police.