Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to download offline maps on your iPhone
iPhone users have had to lean on third-party mapping apps for offline navigation. However, one of the new iOS 17 features allows users to download offline maps on their iPhones. If you’re not running Apple’s latest mobile OS, you can still download offline maps on your iPhone using Google Maps. We’ll explore both options in this post so you can navigate even when you’re not connected to the internet.
If your iPhone runs on iOS 17, you can download offline maps through Apple Maps by tapping your profile icon in the app and choosing Offline Maps. For older iOS versions, Google Maps is an excellent alternative to download offline maps on your iPhone.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to download offline maps from Apple Maps in iOS 17
To get offline maps on your iPhone running iOS 17 using Apple Maps, follow the below steps.
- Open Maps on your iPhone.
- To initiate the map download, tap your profile icon and select the option called Offline Maps.
- Tap Download New Map.
- Enter your area of interest in the search bar and preview it. You can also fine-tune its boundaries for seamless navigation later on.
- Once you’re ready to download the offline maps, tap Download. When the download is finished, the map will be accessible in the Downloaded List section.
Offline maps are set to download over Wi-Fi only, but you can also set them to download over a cellular network. That said, how long it takes to download the offline maps depends on the size of the selected area. You can select multiple locations and download them one by one.
As your phone connects to the internet, Apple Maps automatically updates the offline map data as new changes are made. Moreover, offline map data in Apple Maps provides detailed directions for transit, such as for driving, walking, and cycling.
Users can also access offline maps on an Apple Watch if the iPhone is close by and paired to the watch.
How to download offline maps from Google Maps on your iPhone
If your iPhone is running iOS 16 or an older iOS version, or you don’t like Apple Maps, you can use Google Maps instead. It’s a popular Apple Maps alternative that allows you to download offline maps regardless of the iOS version.
Follow these steps to download offline maps from Google Maps on your iPhone.
- Open Google Maps on your iPhone.
- Press your profile picture and select Offline Maps.
- Tap Select your own map and adjust it according to the region you want offline.
- Lastly, tap Download, and your desired area will be downloaded.
Remember, Google Maps only saves the offline map data on your phone for 30 days. Once the 30-day period is over, you won’t be able to access the map offline. Google Maps also notifies you when downloading a map in case of low storage space so you can decide whether to keep it.