Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to delete a Whatsapp account
Although we’ll run you through the steps you’ll need, it’s up to you to decide where you turn next. Right now, Signal and Telegram are among the most popular options, so we’d suggest starting there. For now, though, let’s bid WhatsApp adieu once and for all.
How to delete your WhatsApp account:
There’s pretty much only one way to skin this cat, and you’ll need your phone to do it. You can’t get rid of your WhatsApp account using the web app — we tried. On the bright side, it should only take a minute, and you don’t need to provide too much justification as to why you want to leave. Just follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Tap on the three dots icon in the top right corner. This will open a small menu of options.
- Choose Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the Account section of the settings menu. You’ll find Account right below your name at the top of the screen. Your first two menu selections will look like this:
- Locate the Delete my account option at the bottom of the list and tap on it.
- Enter your phone number and tap the red Delete my account button.
- Indicate why you are deleting your account from the dropdown menu, then tap the red Delete my account button.
- Tap the red Delete my account button one final time. Here’s what your last three menus should look like:
And voila, no more WhatsApp account for you. As we said, that wasn’t too painful to do. You’ll have to confirm that you want to delete your WhatsApp account a few times, but that may not be a bad thing. It helps to emphasize that you won’t get this account back in the future. Once your account is gone and you return to that login page, it’s gone for good.
See also: How to add and delete a WhatsApp contact
Now that you’ve learned how to delete a WhatsApp account for good, you should probably choose your new messaging app. Check out some of our favorite private, encrypted options right here.