Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to delete messages on Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger is one of the most popular messaging apps on Android, and for many, it has replaced traditional text messaging. However, similar to the inbox of your texting app, your Messenger queue can become unwieldy once it reaches a certain size. We’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks for using Messenger, but if you’re looking to delete messages or even an entire conversation, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll guide you through the process to do it quickly.
To delete a conversation on the Messenger app on your smartphone, tap and hold on the conversation in your queue. From the menu that comes up, tap on Delete. Confirm the deletion when asked to complete the procedure.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to delete messages on the Messenger app
- First, open the Messenger app.
- Tap on the conversation that contains the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the message until the message menu comes up.
- Then tap on More.
- The More menu will contain the Remove option. Tap on it.
- Tap on the trash can icon. It deletes the message from your device only. It stays on everyone else’s devices in the conversation.
- Messenger will ask you to confirm the removal. Tap on REMOVE.
- To remove a message for everybody, select Unsend.
How to delete conversations on the Messenger app
- With Messenger open, scroll to the conversation you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on that conversation until the menu pops up.
- Tap on Delete.
- Messenger will ask you to confirm the deletion. Tap on DELETE to remove the entire conversation from your queue. Keep in mind that it still exists on the devices of the other participants.
How to delete messages on the Facebook website
- Navigate to the Facebook website and log in. In the upper right, you will see a series of icons. Click on the Messenger icon.
- Click on the conversation that contains the message you want to delete. Find the message to be deleted and click on the three-dot menu next to it. Options to remove or forward the message will come up. Click on Remove.
- As usual, Facebook will ask you to confirm the removal of the message. Again, click on Remove. The message will disappear from your device, but remain on the devices of the other people in the chat.
How to delete conversations on the Facebook website
- Bring up Messenger and hover your mouse over the conversation you wish to delete. A three-dot menu icon will appear. Click on the three-dot menu and select the Delete chat option.
- Facebook will warn you that this deletion cannot be undone and ask you to confirm the deletion. To complete the process, click on Delete chat.
What does bump mean on Facebook Messenger?
Bumping a message is a way to remind others about something that was sent earlier in a chat. When you bump a message, whether it’s yours or someone else’s, it moves to the top of the chat, so it’s one of the first things people see. Just like with new messages, everyone in the chat will get a notification letting them know about the bumped message. To bump a message on Messenger, follow these steps:
- Tap and hold on the message you want to bump.
- Tap More, and select Bump.
No, there is no undo feature. Deleting a message or conversation is permanent.
According to Facebook, if you delete the whole conversation, it’s gone for good from your Chat list, but it won’t erase it from the other person’s Chats list. Unless you use the unsend feature, they will still see all of the messages.
No, no one will be notified when you delete in Messenger. But again, keep in mind that the message or conversation will remain on the device of everyone else in the conversation.