Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use Chromecast with Spotify
One of the many features of Chromecast is that it lets you cast Spotify to a TV using your phone or tablet as the remote. It’s a fast way to throw some music up on the big screen, especially if you’re watching a music video or filmed podcast. Here’s how to use Chromecast with Spotify.
Open the Spotify app from your smartphone, desktop, or tablet. Make sure they and your Chromecast device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Next, choose a song to play, select Devices, and select your preferred Chromecast device.
How to Chromecast Spotify
First, make sure you have set up Chromecast correctly. Next, open Spotify on your smartphone, tablet, or desktop, and ensure that your device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast. Then, select something to play.
Click on the Devices icon. It will be in the bottom-left corner for mobile or in the bottom-right corner on the desktop app.
Devices with Chromecast will show the Google Cast icon underneath them, as you can see with the Den speaker in the photo above.
When casting to a TV, your music should start playing on the big screen after a few seconds. You’ll then be able to control Spotify from your smartphone remotely and invite others to take control of the music.
Please note that if you’re using Android 12, you won’t be able to adjust the volume controls from a smartphone. Instead, you’ll have to fish your TV remote out of your couch’s crevices to adjust the volume. Learn more about the legal dispute here. When you’re ready to stop casting with your Chromecast, just tap the “Cast” icon again and hit “stop”.
Here are some troubleshooting options if Spotify isn’t connecting to Chromecast:
- Make sure your TV is connected to the internet
- Check your TV app store for any updates to the Spotify app
- Check your TV’s software is up-to-date
- Try restarting the Spotify app
- Restart your TV
- Restart your Wi-Fi
- Delete the Spotify app, then reinstall it onto your TV
- If possible, try a different Wi-Fi connection
If a Chromecast device other than a TV isn’t showing up in the Spotify app’s list of available devices, you may need to try connecting via the Chrome web browser. For whatever reason, Google tends to have an easier time recognizing services within its ecosystem.
- Launch the Chrome web browser from your desktop.
- Next, go to the Spotify web player, Log in and play a song.
- Cast this song through the Chrome web browser to your Chromecast Audio device.
- Next, open the Spotify app on Android or iOS.
- You should now see your Chromecast in the list of available devices.
- Close the Spotify web browser, and continue using the Spotify mobile app.
Read more: The best media streaming devices you can buy