Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
You told us: Most of you think the Pixel needs more camera accessories
Google’s Pixel phones generally stand out thanks to the camera experience (among other features), offering great image quality and some handy features.
In saying so, we recently wrote an article calling for more camera-focused accessories for the Pixel line. We also used the article to ask whether you thought the Pixel needed more camera accessories. Here’s what you told us in that poll.
Do you think the Pixel needs camera-focused accessories?
Almost 2,000 votes were counted in this poll, and it turns out that almost two-thirds (64.4%) of respondents indeed want more camera accessories for the Pixel line. Readers supporting this stance in the comments suggested possible add-ons like a telescope attachment for improved astrophotography as well as snap-on lenses.
Meanwhile, over a third of surveyed readers felt that the Pixel series didn’t need camera accessories. Several readers in the comments felt that they might as well carry a DSLR camera instead of an add-on for a Pixel phone. Then again, it’s worth noting that add-ons like camera grips and lenses are much smaller than a typical standalone camera (while add-ons are much cheaper than a camera too).
It’s also worth noting that some readers pointed to other issues with Pixel phones, such as exposure accuracy, photo quality in mixed-lighting, and the dearth of camera controls.
- Nacelle: There IS a problem with pixel cameras. The low light and flash photos are atrocious. I’m not talking about night photos. Low light before it switches to night is where it’s bad. I have a OnePlus 9pro and it’s low light photos are SO much better
- Heist99: How about exposure control. What good is 30x zoom if the moon is too bright
- Freakin: I’d love to see the Pixel line create some attachment points on their camera bump out for extra lenses and commit to the design for a number of years. That way Google or 3rd parties could commit to making those and both they and consumers would benefit from a useful standard.
- TopherT1: Not so sure about the accessories but more camera controls would be nice. I know they are going for minimal but more control options would be nice.
- : Look at the examples of camera-related accessories in your own article to see why there are none for the Pixel. If you make it, it doesn’t mean ANYONE will come. If I’m going to lug around a camera grip for my phone, just in case I might want to use it on the go, I may as well carry around my dSLR “just in case.” The whole point is that you have your phone with you anyway. If anyone has a chance to make this work, it’s either Apple or Samsung. Guess what – they have no interest, for good reason.
- J.R. Buckley: I would love to see expansion of astrophotography to include a Pixel-specific telescope attachment with deep-space and planet-focused shooting modes, with auto image stacking.
- sao_paulo: If I have to carry accessories then I might as well carry a dedicated camera with me
- Albin: Global stats for Pixel market share are hard to find, but reaching around 3% in North America was counted a big jump a couple of years ago. Simply doesn’t repay the cost of development and production of specialized peripherals for any specific models other than for Apple or Samsung. I was lucky Moto supported well-designed and clever “Moto Mod” accessories for the Z series, but has terminated that line.