Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade the Original Galaxy Tab P1000 to Ice Cream Sandwich via MIUI 4
Finally, the original 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab gets to taste some Ice Cream Sandwich. Thanks to a MIUI 4 port for the original Galaxy Tab P1000, the tablet can now enjoy some of the goodness of Android 4.0.
A member of XDA Developers, sinamosavi, was able to port the MIUI 4 ROM to the Galaxy Tab. The ROM is based on CyanogenMod 9, which in turn is based on stock Android 4.0 code from the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
The custom ROM for the Galaxy Tab is still an alpha build, so you can expect it to carry several bugs. Among the known bugs included in the ROM are all bugs carried over from CyanogenMod 9. Wi-Fi and SD mounts are also reportedly problematic.
Considering that the original Samsung Galaxy Tab is already an old device, it doesn’t have to be left behind on the latest Android version. So, if you want to enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich on your tablet, read on for the instructions on upgrading your Galaxy Tab P1000.
Requirements and Reminders
To be able to flash the MIUI 4 Alpha ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000, you need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″ and install ClockworkMod Recovery on it.
- Fully charge your tablet’s battery.
- Back up all important files and data on your device ( i.e. bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs, etc.).
- Download the MIUI 4 Alpha ROM for the Galaxy Tab from here and save the file to your computer.
- The procedure has been tested to work on the Galaxy Tab GT-P1000. It may or may not work on other models.
- Use the instructions at your own risk. We shall not be held responsible for any damage to your phone if you follow these instructions.
Here’s how to install MIUI 4 ICS on your Galaxy Tab 7″:
- Connect your tablet to your PC.
- Copy the MIUI 4 ROM to your device’s internal storage.
- Disconnect your tablet from the PC.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Reboot the Galaxy Tab into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down the Volume Up key and the Power button simultaneously.
- Once the device has booted into ClockworkMod Recovery, create a backup of your currently working ROM. You can do this from thestyle=”font-style: italic;”>Backup and Restore > Backupmenu. This backup will come in handy in case you want to revert to the original ROM of your device.
- From the recovery menu, select “Wipe data/ factory reset” and confirm that you want to perform the action.
- Select “Wipe Cache partition” and confirm that you want to perform the action.
- Select “Advanced”, then “Wipe Dalvik cache” and confirm that you want to perform the action.
- With your phone data completely wiped, you may now install the MIUI 4 ROM. From the recovery menu, select “Install zip from SD card”.
- Select “Choose zip from SD card” and choose the ROM file that you have copied to your tablet earlier.
- Confirm the installation by choosing “Yes”. The ROM will be flashed after confirmation.
- Reboot your device.
Congratulations! You now have Ice Cream Sandwich (via MIUI 4 Alpha) on your Galaxy Tab P1000.