Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread XWJW1 Firmware
Yet again, Samsung Galaxy S owners are getting an upgraded firmware for their handsets. Known as firmware XWJW1, the upgrade is an update for Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread on the Galaxy S GT-I9000. It reportedly provides great performance, especially in battery life.
This firmware is only applicable to Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 models that are not network-locked. Do not apply this firmware on any other device than the model number mentioned, as this firmware may cause irreversible damage or harm to your device. If you’re not sure of your device’s model number, you can verify by heading to “Settings > About phone” or you can confirm by dialing *#1234# in your device.
Applying this firmware will revoke root access on your phone (that is, if you’ve previously rooted your phone).
To flash Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware build XWJW1 on your Galaxy S GT-I9000, follow the instructions below. Use the guide at your own risk and hold no one liable for damage to your phone because of your use of this guide.
- Download the Gingerbread 2.3.6 XWJW1 firmware for Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to your PC.
- Extract the contents of the package using RAR extraction software (e.g., WinRAR). After the extraction is complete, you should have two files namely:
- Launch the Odin3 application by double-clicking “Odin3_v1.0.exe” on your computer.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into Download mode. You can enter download mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Volume Down key and Home button, then pressing the Power button.
- Once you entered Download mode, connect your phone to your PC via USB cable while keeping Odin3 opened.
- As soon as your device is connected to your PC, Odin3 will then try detecting your phone. If detected successfully, Odin3 will flash a yellow ID:COM in the Odin3 window. Don’t proceed to the next step if ID:COM doesn’t turn yellow. In that case, you can install the Samsung USB Drivers or update your device drivers through KIES.
- In Odin3, click the PDA button and browse for the CODE_I900XWJW1_CL78890_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 file.
- Under “Option” in Odin3, make sure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked. The other options should not be checked.
- Select the “Start” button in Odin3 to begin installing the firmware update. It may take 3 to 4 minutes for the installation process to complete.
- After the installation, your device should automatically reboot itself. To check whether the firmware has been successfully installed, navigate to “Applications > Settings > About Phone” where you ought to find the firmware version of XWJW1 2.3.6 Gingerbread.
In Case of Force Close Errors
Follow these steps if you get force close errors after you’ve flashed firmware XWJW1 as instructed above:
- Turn off your device and enter recovery mode.
- Once inside recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” then select “Wipe Cache partition” to clear all previous cache files associated with the old firmware.
- Select “Reboot System Now” to restart your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9100 to the latest firmware version XWJW1 of Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread.