Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You're split over sharing your digital/streaming logins
For those who can’t bear to miss a thing, subscribing to all the digital and streaming services available is a dream. While some can probably afford to do this, others have to cherry-pick to keep their finances and sanity in check. Some get around the financial burden by sharing their digital login details for these services with others. But how many really do this?
In a recent poll, we asked our users if they partake in the practice of account sharing with others, be it video/music streaming platforms or other digital services. Here’s what they told us.
Do you share your digital/streaming service login with others?
We shared this poll across our social channels and our site. Interestingly, readers voting on Android Authority were most open about sharing their login details with others. Some 63% of respondents answered yes to the question, a marked difference when looking at data garnered from social channels.
Only Instagram skewed with voters on our site. 56% of respondents on Stories said that they also share their service login details with others.
YouTube garnered the most responses across platforms and the closest set of results. Of the 30,000 users who voted on the poll, 48% said that they do share their service logins with others. Just over 2,600 users voted on Twitter, but it mirrored the results on YouTube — 47.1% of voters also answered yes. Facebook also garnered similar results. Of the 1,100 voters, 48.3% of users nodded.
A stroll through the comments suggests users tend to share digital streaming platforms more than gaming memberships or productivity tools. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime are just some of the services mentioned.
Here’s what you had to say
- Mark: Yeah, especially Netflix since I pay for 4 screens to get 4K. My friends use it.
- Caleb Gardner: Only with my immediate family.
- Donald Duck: Oh hell yes… sharing is caring you know.
- Gnobba: Only my best friend who uses my Netflix account.
- Carlos Mejia: My younger brother lives with me. He has Hulu, Disney+, WWE soon to be Peacock, and showtime. I have Netflix, Discovery+, Apple One family sharing, Prime video, and HBO Max with AT&T.
- Thelonius: We all pay for multiple concurrent streams so might as well.
- roaduardo: Strictly with my immediate family.
That’s it for this poll. Thanks to everyone who voted across our various platforms and site. If you have any additional thoughts about account sharing or the results, drop them in the comments section below.