Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
You told us: Most AA readers are buying or have already bought a phone this year
2020 has been a weird year to say the absolute least, but that hasn’t stopped companies from releasing new smartphones. In fact, we’ve seen almost no change in yearly smartphone release cycles, aside from companies now unveiling their devices online instead of at major events.
We wanted to know how many of you were actually buying phones this year, so we asked you that very question last week. It looks like Android Authority readers are all pretty split on this one.
Have you or are you planning to buy a phone this year?
Out of over 3,600 total votes, nearly 43% of Android Authority readers are planning on buying a smartphone sometime this year. Many commenters (see below) are waiting for the Pixel 5 to launch in October, or for the Pixel 4a to arrive in their country.
23.26% of voters said they’re not planning on buying a phone at all in 2020, while 18.21% said they’ve already purchased a phone. The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and iPhone SE appear to be the popular picks of the year.
For those keeping track, that makes over 61% of voters in this poll have already purchased or are planning on purchasing a smartphone this year.
Just 15.54% said they’re still undecided on whether or not they’re buying a phone in 2020.
Here’s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- NorthernOil: Bought the Note 20 Ultra. The 12GB RAM matters.. So many apps, etc can be opened at once, and what was a slow to open YouTube music app on my Note 8 opens immediately on my 20 Ultra.
- Gordon Hay: I’m on the waiting list for a Pixel 4a – which is not despatching in the UK until October – to replace my Pixel 2 as this will not be receiving any more updates after this autumn. Continuing updates, vanilla Android and price are my primary deciding factors in a phone.
- roaduardo: Already went through 5 phones this calendar year. I have a problem. But I’m stopping now. I’m on this Note 20 Ultra. My last phone for a few years. I promise.
- Daryl Van Humbeck: I won’t be buying a new phone this year, because I just bought one last year, and won’t finish paying it off until next year. We’ll see if anything I might like better shows up by that point. It still has to be able to run Minecraft Earth, though…
- Kim Kim: Well, I already bought one. But it’s not a smartphone. It’s a feature phone (flip phone). I want to go back to simpler time even just for a little while.
- Flav79: I plan on keeping my Note 9 for at least one more year.
- Anon #3999: Got the iPhone SE in June, traded it in for the S20 a few days ago, and I plan to trade in my Pixel 4 for the Pixel 5 whenever that happens. Three.
- Daniel Young: This will be the first year since buying my Galaxy Nexus that I have not been a day 1 buyer of Google’s latest phone. I just can’t go back to a fingerprint reader on the back and smaller screen. Why do all new Pixel’s need to be mid level phones, this year? I’m on the list to pre-order the Fold 2. Keeping my 4XL just in case. At that price I’m really going to have to freaking love the Fold 2.
- Gamma M: I’m waiting for October. Either pixel 5 or a lower end iPhone 12.
- Corndog: I have a Pixel 4XL and would have been interested in the Pixel 5 but no XL model, punch hole camera and middling specs put me off. I’ll wait and see what the 6 is like.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.