Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: AccuWeather is the new Android weather app champ
Last week, Apple went and screwed over a bunch of Android users by buying Dark Sky and announcing its removal from the Play Store. Not only that, the Dark Sky API is being shuttered too, so even our other favorite weather apps will need to find an alternative weather source.
Dark Sky was my favorite weather app, so I was on the hunt last week for a new one. I ended up settling on Overdrop; it’s really well-designed, has plenty of theming options, and lots of widgets.
I asked you to vote for your favorite weather app last week, and the results were actually a little surprising compared to the last time we asked you this question.
What’s your favorite weather app?
Out of nearly 1,000 total votes, 21.7% of voters said their favorite weather app is the tried-and-true AccuWeather. This is surprising for a few reasons. I personally find the design clunky and a bit dated. Also, the last time we asked this question in 2018, Google Weather/Google Assistant/Google Search won this poll by a landslide. Now it’s playing second fiddle with 14.2% of the votes.
Third place goes to the soon-to-be-defunct Dark Sky with 13.1% of the votes, while 10.9% of you simply use your phone’s default weather app.
Today Weather is also a popular option with 7.8% of the votes, and Weather Underground achieved 6.2% of the votes.
Here’s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Pepper787: Weatherbug. The most complete weather app of them all.
- Mike F: If you’re going to be disappointed in the weather, you might as well be entertained by the app. Which is why I use Carrot
- Yankee Pride: WeaWow
- Hawkowl: Weatherbug
- Randy: I use Yahoo! Weather. It’s one of the few that actually has a good looking 4×2 widget.
- Juan Carlos: Well I use Today weather, Wurcanes, Raindar, is that living the Caribbean is not easy !!!
- IronManCC: I use Google Weather/Google Assistant on my Pixel XL; but also have Storm Radar installed, which gives me a great radar app,as well as a decent weather forecast – It’s an awesome complimenting app for use with Google phones. Tried The Weather Channel a couple of times, and I liked it; but had it eat up a TREMENDOUS amount of data on a road trip – I’m talking GBs of data.
- Inha1966: More important than the weather app (Today Weather in my case), what’s your preferred Weather Source!! Was Dark Sky..
- Jēkabs: I use Geometric Weather and I absolutely love it! It also has an amazing live wallpaper. And best of all: it’s free (no ads, no paid versions)!
- I like MyRadar. Tons of layers.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!