Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
What is Apple Fitness Plus? Here is everything you need to know.
Apple Fitness Plus is a catalog of guided workout programs and classes available for $9.99 per month. The service is intended to help Apple users pursue health and fitness goals, and keep users motivated with on-screen metrics. Read on to find out everything you need to know about Apple Fitness Plus.
What is Apple Fitness Plus?
A subscription-based workout service, Apple Fitness Plus offers a deep catalog of content, as well as two noteworthy features; personalized recommendations and metric integration.
- Personalized recommendations: Workouts are curated for users based on data provided by Apple services and a number of integrations with the Apple Watch.
- Integration of personal metrics: Throughout each workout, users can view metrics like heart rate and calories burned on their screen.
Originally, you needed an Apple Watch in order to use Apple Fitness Plus. However, Apple announced that beginning in fall 2022, iPhone users will have access to the service as well.
All you need is an iPhone 8 or later to subscribe or an Apple Watch Series 3 or later paired with iPhone 6s or later. To access the app’s full feature set, your device will need to be running the latest software. The service’s “audio walking experiences” also require a set of Bluetooth earbuds or AirPods. Finally, regardless of what device you have, you’ll also need Apple’s Fitness app installed.
Apple Fitness Plus includes all the features you’re used to seeing in other premium fitness apps. You can filter workouts by trainer, workout type, duration, featured artist, and more. You’ll also get forewarning about any equipment you may need.
For each user, the service suggests workouts based on previous workout history. For example, if you tend to do a lot of HIIT (and you logged in with Apple Health), you will likely see HIIT workouts recommended first and foremost. Apple will also suggest workouts that represent a break from the norm to keep your routine fresh.
Who is Apple Fitness Plus best for?
- Beginners: Fesh to fitness, beginners are looking for classes that cover proper technique before ramping up. These individuals will benefit from the app’s user-friendly interface, introductory courses, and motivational energy.
- Busy bees: Convenience is key for users with packed schedules and endless to-do lists. Apple Fitness Plus helps users save time by cutting out commutes to the gym. It also saves you from working around preset class times.
- Introverts: Motivated by the feel of a group class but not interested in a room full of eyes, introverted users will love the instructional component of Apple Fitness Plus without all the social interaction.
- Expectant mothers: Women looking to stay active and maintain their fitness throughout pregnancy can tap into the app’s stretching and strength training workouts specifically designed for pregnant users.
- Seniors: Users interested in strengthening their muscles for everyday tasks will benefit from the app’s content for older individuals. Newer adult courses focus on flexibility, coordination, stamina, and stability.
- Frequent walkers: Regular walkers looking for in-ear entertainment will love the Time to Walk collection on Apple Fitness Plus. This feature brings inspirational stories from big names right to listeners’ ears.
Workouts and more
Apple Fitness users have access to 12 different types of workouts, listed below. Users can also follow along with curated collections aimed at long-term goals. Examples include a 30-day core challenge, yoga for better balance, or training programs for running a 5K.
- Mindful Cooldown
- Treadmill Run
Users will also find a considerable amount of guided mindfulness work as well as custom workout programs. Additionally, the service offers a feature Apple calls audio-guided experiences. For runners, Time to Run provides coaching, music, and photos of global running locations. As mentioned above, Time to Walk offers inspirational stories and songs from unique guests such as Dolly Parton, Bernice A. King, and many more.
Where is Apple Fitness Plus available?
Apple Fitness Plus is available right now in all of the countries listed below. The company has not yet announced launch dates for additional regions, including India. Apple Fitness Plus is also available as part of Apple One.
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
Integration with the Apple Watch
As mentioned above, Apple Fitness Plus offers plenty of synchronicity. Sessions are logged automatically by your Apple Watch, meaning you don’t need to spend time setting up the correct type of workout. When using an Apple TV, your Apple Watch can also be used as a remote to control the action on-screen.
Users can access Apple Fitness Plus via the App Store on a compatible iOS device or on an Apple TV. If you go the Apple TV route, you’ll be able to access your account on any Apple TV, provided you are wearing your Apple Watch. This can be especially useful if you’re staying in a hotel.
During a session, heart rate, calories burned, and elapsed time will display on your screen. The same goes for closing exercise rings and other relevant notifications from your watch.
Read our verdicts on the latest Apple Watches
Apple Fitness Plus vs other workout platforms
Workout services are nothing new. Many fitness services will sync with fitness watches, heart rate monitors, and even exercise machines like treadmills and rowers. Nothing Apple is bringing to the table is necessarily new. It’s more about the convenience that comes from going “all-in” on Apple. If you’re an Apple Watch user, that may be enough to make paying for Apple Fitness Plus worth the cost.
Nothing Apple is bringing to the table is really all that new, but for Apple Watch users, it's a unique level of synchronicity.
Following a guided workout certainly has its merits for the right type of user. Not only can guided workouts teach users proper form and movement, but they can also offer motivation and structure. As mentioned above, Apple Fitness Plus also has programs for women during pregnancy and older adults, which will add value to those looking for more specific programs.
With that said, nothing beats getting direct training from a coach — they can help to spot you through techniques and adjust your training as you see results (or don’t). Moreover, those who are very experienced or who are training for specific sports will typically fare better with more tailored, periodized programs. It’s also worth remembering that there are plenty of great, free workouts available on YouTube. But if it’s a quick workout you’re looking for, Apple Fitness Plus will likely deliver.
See also: The best home fitness streaming services
Is it worth it?
The value of workout videos is predicated on the quality of the video in question. Apple has continually added new workouts and trainers since the platform launched. These new trainers are often introduced over at the official Instagram account.
With all that said, $9.99 is steep. Seeing as there is a one-month free trial, there is no harm in giving it a go. The price is also competitive with other similar apps. How much you get out of it is likely to be very subjective. Ultimately, the value of this service will depend on how consistently you use it. To get more insight into your decision, check out our review of Apple Fitness Plus.
Apple Fitness Plus will be coming to India, although Apple has yet to announce a launch date.
No. However, there is a one-month free trial. Users who purchased an Apple Watch Series 3 or later can also receive a three-month trial.
Each workout has different requirements. There are plenty of workouts that require no equipment at all.
Not at the time of writing.