Welcome to the 291th Android Apps Weekly! Here are the headlines from the last week:
- Google announced the 2019 Google Play Awards nominees this week ahead of Google I/O. There are some excellent Android apps and Android games on the list, including Shine, Asphalt 9: Legends, Shadowgun Legends, Khan Academy Kids, Old School RuneScape, and many others. Hit the link to see all of the nominees through all of the various categories.
- Facebook announced a number of new things this week. The first was a major Facebook redesign with a focus on Groups and Events. Facebook Messenger is also getting a desktop app, group viewing, and more new features. Finally, Facebook is creating a dating service later this year. It’s been a busy week for Facebook. Hit the link to see more details!
- Wear OS received a new feature this week. A new Tiles widget shows users a bunch of new and useful information, including headlines, heart rate, forecast, next calendar event, and other stuff. It’s a little basic right now. However, we can see this becoming a feature that app developers can use eventually.
- Instagram Stories is finally getting a redesign. The feature hasn’t seen a change in aesthetics in a very long time so this is good news. It should get a couple of new features along with some visual changes as well. Instagram is also making a new create mode. It doesn’t require pictures or video like Instagram Stories usually do.
- YouTube made a splash twice this week. The first was a blog post about how YouTube wants to make the platform better for creators. It received mixed reactions because YouTube has a long history of doing the opposite of that. YouTube Music also received an audio file browser for your local music. However, it’s limited and you can’t mix local music with your online playlists for right now.
If we missed any big Android apps or Android games news, updates, or releases, tell us about them in the comments! You can also click here to check out our latest podcasts!