If you’re a fan of playing Grand Theft Auto III on your Android smartphone or tablet, you’re in for a special treat! Just recently, the hacker community got to discover that the game can be modified on Android devices. Just like the original PC version, GTA III makes use of the same filestructure on the mobile version. If you know how to tinker around and locate your directory for Android/Data/com.rockstar.gta3/files/GTA3 on the internal storage of your device, you can easily download several mods.
With the help of the new mod, you can come enhance the graphics display of your game. You can even install a patch which will allow your character to throw really hard punches. Other benefits of using these mods include replacing game models and textures so you can have new cars and buildings. You can also edit the elasticity and mass of other things such as the range of fire (of each weapon) as well as a traffic light.
Here’s how you can modify your GTA III game on your Android:
- Connect your device to a PC through MTP mode or USB mass storage.
- Go to the SDCard folder
- Go to /Android/data/com.rockstar.gta3eng/files/GTA3. The com.rockstar.gta3eng name will have a slightly different name which depends on your geographic location.
- Copy the file called gta3.set from your Android to your computer
- Open the original file using a text editor. In here, you can see the settings you can tinker around with.
- When you’re done tinkering the settings, you simply have to save and play the game again.
If you’re scared of modifying the file on your own, you can also click here to get the gta3.set file and use it to replace the one you have on your Android. Once you have downloaded the file, simply extract and replace it with the original file. It already has the effects enabled by XDA.
Note: If you have Chainfire 3D installed on your device, you will need to uninstall it so it does not go in conflict when you tweak the game. Be sure to save a backup copy of the original directory so you don’t lose anything precious.