Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i: Upgrading to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread firmware version 4.0.2.A.0.62
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i users who are still waiting for the official Ice Cream Sandwich update might have to wait a little bit longer. The ICS update that Sony promised has yet to surface, so Xperia Arc users will have to make do with the latest Android 2.3.4 firmware.
Also officially known as the firmware 4.0.2.A.0.62, the upgrade features performance boosts for the system and some added fixes and customizations. If you’re running a rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i, then installing the official firmware will automatically revoke your root privileges. This also means that you will need to wait for the Android community developers to find a new method in rooting this firmware.
For those of you who haven’t updated their Xperia Arc through OTA, you can do it manually by following our step-by-step guide below.
This guide is intended only for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc with model number LT15i. It is not compatible with any other device or variants. Check your device model number by heading to Settings > About phone.
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i
- Back-up of your personal files and important data. You can read our guides on how to backup your data locally and how to backup your data to the cloud.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. You can do this by heading to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging. Make sure that there is check mark beside that option.
Installing ADB and Flashmode Drivers
- Download Flashtool from here (flashtool-0.6.9.1-windows.exe, 123 MB) and save it to your PC.
- Double-click on flastool-0.6.9.1-windows.exe to install it on your PC.
- Go to the Flashtool folder C:Flashtool on your PC, and open the drivers folder. Double-click the Flashtool-drivers file to automatically start the installation of important phone drivers on your PC.
- In the drivers set-up screen, select Next, then, when prompted for a component selection, select the options below:
- Arc-Play-New-Acro ADB Drivers
- Flashmod Drivers
- Select the Next button to start installing the necessary ADB drivers on your phone. Proceed to the next step once the necessary drivers are done installing.
Installing the LT15i 4.0.2.A.0.62 Firmware
- Download the Xperia Arc LT15i generic global firmware from here (LT15i_4.0.2.A.0.62_Generic_Global_World.ftf, 256 MB) and save it to your PC.
- Copy the downloaded file to the Flashtoolfirmwares folder.
- Double-click the FlashTool file inside the Flashtool folder.
- As soon as the Flashtool program opens, select the Flash button.
- Select Flashmode on the screen that follows and confirm your selection by pressing the OK button.
- A new window will automatically open and you would see LT15i on the list of devices. Select the “LT15i” entry if it’s not selected and press the OK button to continue.
- Connect your Xperia Arc to your PC via the USB cable while holding down the Back button on your phone.
- As soon as your phone is connected to your PC, the Flashtool application will automatically start flashing the ROM.
- Once the flashing process is done, you’ll be greeted with a message “Flashing complete” in the Flashtool screen.
- Disconnect your Xperia Arc from your PC.
- Reboot your Xperia Arc.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc to the latest Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread 4.0.2.A.0.62 firmware.