Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This new Withings device wants your pee!
- Withings announced U-Scan, an at-home urinalysis platform that offers hands-free data collection.
- The pebble-shaped reader sits inside users’ toilets to automatically capture samples and analyze biomarkers.
- The device will be available in Europe in mid-2023 for €499.99, with plans to expand to US markets in the future.
Withings is making its way to the most unexpected seat in the house — your toilet. At CES 2023, the company announced a brand-new health device called the U-Scan, which aims to monitor users’ health through urinalysis. The advanced monitor easily attaches inside any toilet, offering convenience and privacy, plus automatic monitoring and actionable insights in the Withings companion app.
Small but mighty, the device can distinguish urine from other liquids.
The pebble-shaped U-Scan is just 90mm but packs the punch of a march larger at-home lab. Small but mighty, the device can distinguish urine from other liquids and even tell the difference between various family members based on urine stream signatures. Which, it turns out, is a real thing. The fact is, urine contains several important biomarkers that offer detailed insights into our overall health. Now Withings is making that data more accessible than ever from the comfort of your bathroom.
Once installed, the device automatically collects samples, activating internal testing when thermal sensors detect urine. Inside, an interchangeable, rotating cartridge houses dozens of test pods, each of which it utilizes for chemical analysis. An optical module reads test results, the remaining liquid is purged, and the device rinses clean via flushing. The system is impressive as it stands but also holds plenty of potential for future development. Specifically, Withings plans to take on additional health issues with medical cartridge versions as well.
Each unique U-Scan cartridge assesses specific biomarkers depending on the user’s need. As of now, Withings has announced two consumer health cartridges.
- U-Scan Cycle Sync: The U-Scan Cycle Sync leverages the device’s capability to help those who menstruate track their cycles, predict ovulation windows, and more. These insights are gathered by analyzing hormonal and dietary biomarkers, pH levels, and specific gravity.
- U-Scan Nutri Balance: Similarly, the U-Scan Nutri Balance analyzes users’ urine for specific gravity, pH, vitamin C, and ketone levels. This cartridge aims to help users garner insight into their nutrition and hydration.
The U-Scan automatically syncs via Wi-Fi with the Withings app so users can access their analysis. There, Withings also offers guidance on interpreting and acting on your results. The device itself features a rechargeable battery that will last up to 3 months at a time. Each cartridge will also provide up to 3 months of testing. The U-Scan will be available in Europe in mid-2023 for €499.95. Users can subscribe for automatic refill cartridges or purchase additional cartridges at will. Pending FDA approval, the company also plans to launch the device in the US in the future as well.