Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Wikipedia's redesigned app recommends content to read on the go
So far, if you’ve mostly been using Wikipedia’s website to impress everyone around you with your “in-depth” knowledge about everything under the sun, the newly redesigned Wikipedia Android app can now help you show off even more.
After adding the new Explore feed to the Wikipedia app for iOS in March this year, the Wikimedia Mobile Apps team has redesigned the home screen of its Android version to bring you the same feature. The Explore feed on the redesigned Android app brings you curated content, such as images, news content, and articles, based on what you’ve read.
Don’t like any of Wikipedia’s suggested images or articles? You can simply swipe away any uninteresting content because the app now uses a card-based layout. If you’ve been too busy to keep up with the news, you can just keep scrolling down the feed endlessly to check out older content. If you are looking to re-visit an article that you didn’t have the time to go through, the app also allows you to simply save it to your personal reading list for offline viewing at a more convenient time.
Another cool feature is a preview that you get to see after you tap on an article before you jump to the full-on Wikipedia page. The redesigned app also lets you rest your tired fingers from all that typing, by introducing voice support for search, and offers built-in sharing so that you can share content using your favorite social media apps.
Here’s a full list of what the updated app has to offer:
- In the news – Current international news stories, with links to Wikipedia articles relevant to each story.
- Trending articles – The top five most read articles of the day.
- Featured picture – A bold image selected every day by the Wikipedia editor community.
- Featured article – A featured article on Wikipedia, picked daily by editors.
- Because you read – Recommended articles based on what you’ve read lately.
- Continue reading – An option to continue reading articles later.
- Today on Wikipedia – This card takes you to the Main Page of the Wikipedia of your preferred language.
- Randomizer – A random Wikipedia article
- A more prominent search bar at the top of the feed, with integrated voice search.
Wikipedia has also revamped the back end of the app, and has kept the structure of the Explore feed service pretty simple, so that it can be more easily accessed by other apps and web applications, and the content in the feed can be retrieved with just a single web request. To get the new app, you can head to the Google Play Store and if you’re a developer, you can go to the Wikimedia REST API.
Let us know in the comments below if you’re happy with using the newly redesigned Wikipedia Android app!