Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to upload and add your music to Apple Music
Apple Music has such a wide selection of music that you’d be hard-pressed to find something it doesn’t have. However, if you have your own paid-for music files, you may want to upload them to your Apple Music app to play. This can be useful if some songs on Apple Music are unavailable due to regional licensing restrictions. Here’s how to upload and add your music to Apple Music.
To upload and add your music to Apple Music, use the Music app (macOS) or iTunes (Windows). Both have virtually the same interface and the same method for uploading music files. Note that you can only upload MP3 and M4A files. Anything else, such as FLAC and WMV, is not supported and must be converted to either MP3 or M4A format. For more information on audio formats, check out our other article on the Audio Format Guide.
How to upload music to Apple Music (on MacBook)
If you’re using a MacBook, follow these steps:
- Open the Music app on your Mac.
- In the top menu, go to File and select Import.
- Navigate to the music folder located on your computer.
Please keep in mind that you can only import MP3 and M4A files. Other music formats, such as FLAC, are currently unsupported. If you have FLAC files, you’ll need to convert them to MP3 or M4A format, which may defeat the purpose of having FLAC files in the first place.
- Click Open to initiate the importing process.
- The music will now start to be uploaded to your Music app.
- Once the process is complete, you can access the uploaded music by clicking Recently Added or by searching for the artist or album in your Music app.
Additionally, please note that the music will have been copied to your Music app. These copies will now be located in the Media subfolder of your Music folder. You can delete or move the original files that you uploaded; otherwise, you will have two sets of the same music.
How to upload music to Apple Music (on Windows)
If you’re using a Windows PC, you’ll need to begin by downloading iTunes. To do this, visit the official Apple website and locate the iTunes download section.
- Once the download is complete, open the iTunes application to get started.
- In the upper-left corner, click on File, and then select Add File to Library… Alternatively, if you’ve organized your music into folders, you can choose Add Folder to Library…
- Go to the folder where your music is saved on your computer.
- Click Open to start importing.
- After the download is complete, you can find the newly added music by clicking Recently Added or searching for the artist or album.
No, other people cannot see what you have uploaded. The files are visible and playable by you only.
Yes, you can delete it. Simply right-click on the music and choose Delete from Library from the available options.