Disney Plus has already launched in the US and many other countries. We have already listed all the current movies and TV shows you can stream on Disney Plus. Of course, you can expect a lot more to be added to the service in the weeks, months, and years to come. Here’s a look at the Disney Plus upcoming shows and movies.
Disney Plus upcoming shows — scripted
The service has ambitious plans for several live-action and animated scripted series in the near future:
- Chip ‘N’ Dale: Park Life – A series of animated shorts featuring the always troublemaking chipmunks.
- Beauty and the Beast prequel – This live-action show will feature Luke Evans and Josh God as they reprise their roles from the recent musical remake.
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder – A revival of the Disney Channel’s hit animated series.
- Willow – A new adaptation of the fantasy movie created by George Lucas.
- Baymax – A series based on the movie Big Hero 6, focusing on the Baymax robot.
- Zootopia Plus – A series set in the animal-run world of the Zootopia movie.
- Tiana – The lead of the movie The Princess and the Frog will get her own series.
- Moana – The hit Disney animated movie will continue in a new series.
- Iwájú – A sci-fi animated series from the African animation studio Kugali.
- Dug Days – Dug, the talking dog from the movie Up, is back in this upcoming series of short films.
- Cars – Lightning McQueen and Mater will be back in this series based on the Cars animated films.
- Win or Lose – An animated show about a middle school softball team, with each episode focusing on a different team member.
- Doogie Kameāloha, M.D – A reboot of the classic Doogie Howser, M.D. sitcom, this time about a 16-year old mixed-race girl who is studying to become a doctor.
- National Treasure – This will be a reboot of the hit National Treasure movie franchise.
- Just Beyond – A supernatural anthology series based on the Boom Studios graphic novels from writer R.L. Stine.
One major show that was announced for the service was a reboot/sequel to the popular Disney Channel sitcom Lizzie McGuire. The show was supposed to feature Hilary Duff returning to play the same role she did as a teenager, but now as a 30-something adult. However, creative differences arose soon after the reboot was announced. In December, both Disney and Duff confirmed the show would not go into production after all.
Disney Plus upcoming shows — unscripted
The service has a ton of upcoming unscripted competition and documentary TV series in the works:
- Ink & Paint – The story of the women who worked on Disney’s classic animated films.
- Earthkeepers – A look at people dedicated to preserving endangered animals.
- (Re)Connect – Families with issues try to come back together with the help of experts..
- The Quest – Teenagers compete in a live-action medieval role-playing game.
- The Maze – Teams composed of one adult and one teen compete to solve puzzles in various European cities.
- Parenting Without Borders – Jessica Alba will host this series, which takes a look at parenting around the world.
- Foodtastic – A competition series where people will try to create Disney-inspired works of art that are made out of food.
- Choir – A series that looks at the acclaimed Detroit Youth Choir.
Upcoming National Geographic shows
Disney Plus will have several upcoming shows produced by National Geographic.
- Genius: Martin Luther King, Jr. – A docudrama series on the late civil rights leader
- Secrets of the Whales – A look at the biggest animals on Earth, produced by James Cameron and narrated by Sigourney Weaver.
- A Real Bug’s Life – A series that examines some of the smallest animals on Earth.
- America The Beautiful – A look at the entire continent of North America.
- Limitless – Chris Hemsworth stars in this docuseries about examining the limits of the human body and how we might be able to live longer.
- Welcome to Earth – Will Smith will travel the planet in this series to find places that exhibit unexplained phenomena
Disney Plus upcoming movies — original
Look for the service to release several original scripted movies in the coming months:
- Aladdin spinoff – A live-action spinoff movie from the recent 2019 Aladdin remake is in the works. It will center on the character of Prince Anders, to be played once again by Billy Magnussen.
- Hocus Pocus 2 – The long-awaited sequel to the hit supernatural comedy is in the works.
- Sister Act 3 – Whoopi Goldberg is coming back in this new sequel to the hit comedy movie series.
- Three Men and a Baby – Zac Efron will be one of the stars of this remake of the 1987 comedy film.
- Sports docudrama movies – Disney Plus has plans for three movies that will look at the lives of athletes like Chris Paul, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Keanon Lowe.
- Cheaper by the Dozen – A new version of the classic family comedy that will star Gabrielle Union and Zack Braff.
- Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers – A live-action-animated hybrid of Disney’s classic animated show starring John Mulaney as Chip and Andy Samberg as Dale.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The hit book series will turn into a new animated movie.
- Pinocchio – A live-action version of Disney’s animated classic, om Hanks and directed by Robert Zemeckis.
- Disenchanted – The long-awaited sequel to Enchanted is in the works, with Amy Adams returning as the princess Giselle.
- Peter Pan and Wendy – Yet another movie about the Peter Pan legend, with Jude Law as Captain Hook.
- Crater – A near-future movie set on the moon, where a group of young friends takes a trip to a mysterious crater.
Future Star Wars Shows
Disney Plus had a major hit with the Star Wars-based live-action series The Mandalorian (and Baby Yoda), There will be several more original Star Wars-based TV shows on Disney Plus:
- Star Wars: Andor – A TV show that centers on rebel spy Cassian Andor, played by Diego Luna, before the events of Rogue One
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi – Ewan McGregor will return to the role he took on during the Star Wars prequel movies in this series.
- The Acolyte – A show that will be about the “shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era”
- Star Wars: Ahsoka – A Mandalorian spin-off, with Rosario Dawson playing the Jedi warrior.
- Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic – This will be yet another spin-off from The Mandalorian.
- Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett – The third Mandalorian spin-off will focus on the legendary bounty hunter.
- Star Wars: Lando – A series focusing on Lando Calrissian.
- Star Wars: Visions – A series of short movies made by the best anime creators of Japan.
- Star Wars: A Droid Story – An animated series that will focus on a new droid, mentored by R2-D2 and C-3PO.
Future Marvel Shows
If you are a fan of the MCU movies, get ready for a ton of original Marvel shows set in that universe on Disney Plus.
- Hawkeye – Jeremy Renner will return to his role as Marvel’s top archer in this series.
- Ms. Marvel – A Marvel Studios series centering on the Pakistani-American superhero of the same name.
- Moon Knight – Yet another Marvel Studios series, and this one will tell the story of Marc Spector, a dark vigilante with moon-based powers.
- She-Hulk – The gamma-powered woman who is also a lawyer will be the subject of another Marvel Studios series.
- Marvel What If – A animated series that takes a look at how the Marvel Cinematic Universe would look if certain events had happened differently.
- Secret Invasion – Samual L. Jackson is back as Nick Fury, who has to deal with an invasion of shape-changing alien Skrulls.
- Ironheart – A female inventor created the next-generation version of Iron Man’s armor in this series.
- Armor Wars – This series will deal with the Iron Man armor tech falling into the wrong hands.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special – To be released in late 2022, the special will have all of the cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies
- I am Groot – A series of animated shorts centering on the Guardians’ intelligent tree.
- Wakanda (working title) – A series set in the advanced fictional African nation of Wakanda, as featured in the 2018 MCU movie Black Panther.
Disney theatrical movies to be added to the service
In addition to all the original content that’s coming to Disney Plus, it will be the home for many recent and current Disney and 20th Century Fox theatrical films in the coming months. In the next year, you can expect to see these movies added to the service:
- Jungle Cruise – July 30 (Premier Access)
- Mrs. Doutbfire – August 6
- Cruella – August 27 (for all Disney Plus members)
- Black Widow – October 6 (for all Disney Plus members)
That was a very quick look at the many Disney Plus upcoming shows and movies, and we will be updating this list as more series and films are announced.